FEATURE Localization

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
Dear users, today I'd like to share with you some important updates that you can expect in near future.
HWiNFO64 is currently undergoing translation into several languages, which was one of the most requested features.

This process is very difficult as there is a huge amount of text needed to be translated, many terms used are highly technical for which it's hard to find a reasonable equivalent (sometimes it's not possible at all). This also requires several changes to GUI to accommodate for different text length in dialogs and developing an engine that would allow flexible translation and extensions.
This process has started several weeks ago and as the first step it required porting the entire application to UNICODE. This in itself was a quite large task where almost all text needed to be ported and resulted in some issues in the last few builds. Please note that only HWiNFO64 will support UNICODE and localized text, HWiNFO32 will remain in English language only with ANSI support for backwards compatibility.

As the next step the translation engine was created and the localization process has started for several areas. The translation process is initially performed using Neural AI Machine Translation with some minor manual interventions and corrections. It is expected that the initial result will contain lots of incorrect translations (mostly due to ambiguity of the initial language), but this will be fixed and improved over time.

Any volunteers that are willing to contribute to the translation, either by reviewing existing text or adding new languages and highly welcome !
Currently all language translations are located in a single text file with layout similar to other programs. This file is currently not ready for public release as it's under heavy extension and modifications. As soon as it becomes ready, it will be released to public (mostly likely on Github to allow simultaneous commits by several users).

Starting with the next Beta version 7.17 you will see some areas localized (today's status is roughly 20-30% localized) and more to be added in the upcoming builds. I expect the entire process to take several weeks (or even months), so please be patient if you see some bugs or don't see some items translated. If you'd like to contribute, let us know !

Happy New Year !

Update 26-Jan-2022: The language file has been published on Github, feel free to fix/update it:

Update 30-Jan-2022: Since build 4676 HWiNFO64 will allow using a custom language file by placing the lang.txt in the same folder where HWiNFO64.EXE is located.

Last edited:
I'm curious:
  • Will HWiNFO provide an option to switch the language, e.g. back to English?
  • Will it be possible for users to edit the language file(s) to their liking? Personally, I like when programs use some kind of text files for their languages, so any user can edit them with a (simple) text editor.

Regards
Dalai

• Will HWiNFO provide an option to switch the language, e.g. back to English?
Yes, of course:
1641312709793.png
  • Will it be possible for users to edit the language file(s) to their liking? Personally, I like when programs use some kind of text files for their languages, so any user can edit them with a (simple) text editor.

Yes, as described above. The language file will be available publicly and initially embedded into HWiNFO. Later I might add a possibility to use a custom language file, but this is not the top priority now.

Tried out the latest 7.17 beta, found some inaccurate translations for Simplified Chinese. I know that you are planning to release a github repo for the language file, any eta on that?

Nonetheless, I will still attach my list of corrections here first.

Virtual Memory Committed should be 已提交的虚拟内存
Core Ratios should be 核心倍频系数
Core x ratio should be 核心x倍频
Memory Timings should be 内存速率
Memory Clock Ratio should be 内存倍频系数
CPU Die (Average) should be CPU芯片(平均)
Description for CPU PPT should be 当前CPU插座供给功率
Frequency Limit (Global) should be 频率限制(全局)
CPU PPT Limit should be CPU PPT限制 (the word 'limit' is not translated)
Description for CPU PPT Limit should be CPU插座供给功率负载百分比
Description for CPU TDC Limit should be CPU热设计电流负载百分比(在热受限情况下电压调节器允许的最高持续电流)
Description for CPU EDC Limit should be CPU电气设计电流负载百分比(电压调节器允许的最高电流)
CPU Socket should be CPU插槽
MOS should be 供电芯片
Read Activity (for disks) should be 读取使用率
Write Activity (for disks) should be 写入使用率
Total Activity (for disks) should be 总使用率
Read Rate (for disks) should be 读取速度
Write Rate (for disks) should be 写入速度
GPU memory junction temperature should be 显存温度
GPU power should be GPU总功耗
GPU memory clock should be 显存频率
GPU video clock should be GPU视频引擎频率
GPU D3D usages should be GPU D3D使用率
GPU D3D usage should be GPU D3D使用率
Performance Limit -Thermal should be 性能限制 - 温度
Total GPU power should be GPU总功耗使用率
GPU Memory allocated should be 已使用的显存
GPU D3D memory dedicated should be 已使用的专用显存
GPU D3D memory dynamic should be 已使用的共享显存
Frame Time should be 帧时间
WHEA should be Windows硬件故障
Total Errors under WHEA should be 总故障数

Once the github is ready, I can create pull request, but you can also just directly integrate my corrections into the next version.

Thanks, I will fix that text. No ETA on release of that file yet as still a large portion of text isn't included, probably a couple of weeks.

I'm happy to complete the localisation for English English (en_GB, aka British English) when available, and possibly some Hebrew.

I tested v7.17-4655. I think it is a wonderful step for those who are not used to English notation.

I was able to change the UI interface back to English, but the content of the sensor window is still in the translated language (Japanese in my case). For my usage, I prefer the English names for the sensor log items, so please make it possible to switch the contents of the sensor window as well.

I tested v7.17-4655. I think it is a wonderful step for those who are not used to English notation.

I was able to change the UI interface back to English, but the content of the sensor window is still in the translated language (Japanese in my case). For my usage, I prefer the English names for the sensor log items, so please make it possible to switch the contents of the sensor window as well.

This is a known bug that will be fixed in the next build. Those affected by it will need to do a Reset Preferences to get the original labels back.

Version v7.17-4660 Beta has significantly enhanced and improved localization, it has also resolved a few bugs found in previous Beta build.
Currently about 80% of text has been translated.

There was a PromDapter issue that we tracked down to HWiNFO showing °C as undefined UTF-8 symbol in unit. I'm not yet sure which exact version of beta the system was running. It didn't replicate on my system on the currently latest beta v7.17-4660 and it didn't appear on the user's system on latest stable either.

User's HWiNFO language was set to English, so not any special character languages were involved.

If you recall fixing something like this recently, then I think it's all clear then. Otherwise heads up there might be something raising issues. I've attached the screenshot of the unit part of sensor customization part where the original unit is undefined and user has as-a-workaround renamed it to proper symbol.

1642332374599.png

Yes, there was an issue with the °C symbol in previous Beta build, but it was fixed in the latest build 4660.

Hmm, no not fixed - I am using build 4660 and experiencing the issue.
I fixed it by renaming the unit to "C"

Hmm, no not fixed - I am using build 4660 and experiencing the issue.
I fixed it by renaming the unit to "C"

Which Windows and HWiNFO language do you use? Can you try to completely Reset Preferences if it will show then correctly?

Please check in Windows Settings - Language - Administrative language settings - Change system locale. What is the current system locale and is the UTF-8 support enabled perhaps?

This is very strange - I'm using the same settings and it's showing it properly. This was a bug in build 4655, are you sure running 4660?

Back