M.2 SSD Drive Temp 1 vs Drive Temp 2, Large Difference and High Temp on #2

BigSmoke

Hi, I have an M.2 SSD that I recently migrated to a new motherboard and case. When I was checking all the new hardware and CPU temps I noticed a very large discrepancy between the SSD drive temp 1 and temp 2. I had read that they measure different parts of the drive, but I'm not super well versed in how that works. This drive came from a Dell XPS and is a random model, "PC401 SK Hynix"
The Drive temp 1 is around 45-50 degrees and temp 2 is around 80 degrees at idle. When gaming for about 30min it has gone up to 88-92 degrees on temp 2 but temp 1 remains in the 50-60 range. The drive is between the GPU and CPU cooler but the case has ample airflow.
Crystal Disk only reports the same value as drive temp 1 and says everything is normal, which is why I was inclined to think it was ok. Is this an error? Is my SSD going to explode?
Hot Boi.png

The first value usually represents the flash temperature, while the second one the controller (which is usually significantly higher).

The first value usually represents the flash temperature, while the second one the controller (which is usually significantly higher).

Thanks Martin, is that an unusually high temp for the controller, or do you think its safe to operate indefinitely like that? Not exactly a Hwinfo question but this community seems knowledgeable about stuff like this.

The temperatures are too high, especially the second one (hence HWiNFO shows it in red)! Drives shouldn't operate at 80°C at idle. While flash chips don't need to be cooled (they like it hot), the controller is the part that needs cooling. Which motherboard do you have, and in which slot did you put the drive? Did you remove any plastic wraps/covers from the thermal pads before putting the cover/cooler back on (if any)? If there isn't any cooler on the drive, you should at least get some air flow over the drive, e.g. with a case fan directed at it, or with a dedicated fan.

Regards
Dalai

Back