measurements freeze after standby

stavpal

I have a x58 system (i7 920, gigabyte ga ex58 ud5), windows 7 x64 and after standby and resume hwinfo measurements do not change. If I try to close hwinfo the process is still running. Even after I close it via task manager (I have set it to auto start in task scheduler) and try to start it hwinfo hangs at "discovering ide/scsi devices". If I then try to reboot windows hangs on "Shutting down" and I have to reset. I'm running version 4.02 x64.
Can I fix it somehow?

Please first disable the HWiNFO auto start. Then enable Debug Mode in HWiNFO, try to reproduce the situation (stand-by / resume). After the hang, try to close HWiNFO. If that doesn't work, please shutdown and restart the system. Make sure the system didn't start HWiNFO again. Then please send me (or attach) the HWiNFO32.DBG (or HWiNFO64.DBG file in case you're running HWiNFO64).
In case the situation with freezing during start happens again, then please send me the DBG file from this situation too (just make sure to terminate HWiNFO, otherwise you won't be able to access that file).

Thanks for the Debug Files. It seems HWiNFO hangs after resume when it attempts to read the disk temperature. So the storage driver (I assume you're using Intel RST) seems to be the faulty one, because it doesn't respond to the request and hangs. You can try to upgrade the Intel RST driver to a newer version to see if it fixes this problem.

Martin said:
Thanks for the Debug Files. It seems HWiNFO hangs after resume when it attempts to read the disk temperature. So the storage driver (I assume you're using Intel RST) seems to be the faulty one, because it doesn't respond to the request and hangs. You can try to upgrade the Intel RST driver to a newer version to see if it fixes this problem.

I updated the intel rst driver (driver date: 5/30/2012) but I still have the same issues. I've tried closing the program before standby and starting it after resume but it hangs on detecting devices. Debug file is http://speedy.sh/8Px32/HWiNFO64.DBG-resume2

This is again the same issue - hang in the storage driver during requesting disk temperature from it.
Unfortunately the RST drivers are quite buggy and there have been several issues in the past, whereas a new version fixed few ones, but on the other hand another ones appeared. Maybe some older RST version might work..
If nothing helps and you don't need disk information, then set the "IDE Drive Scan" in HWiNFO to "Disable Drive Scan".

The kind - of -solution I found is a script to kill hwinfo on standby (via task manager). This way only when I reboot hwinfo will run and I won't have any issues. The disadvantage of course it that after resume from sleep hwinfo isn't running. I guess I can live with it.
Anyway, thanks for trying to solve the issue.

That's also a sort of 'solution' :) Disabling the entire Drive Scan in HWiNFO should allow you to use use it after resume too (but loose drive information) though.

Last attempt: I saved two versions of hwinfo64.ini (one will drive info enabled and one with disabled) and a couple of scripts to overwrite the original hwinfo64.ini. I used Task Scheduler to run tasks at standby, resume and shutdown. This way I don't need to change anything and hwinfo keeps running (just no drive info if resumed from sleep). I think it's the best I can do.

I'm glad that you finally found an acceptable solution. I hope Intel will some day fix this problem in their RST drivers...

Back