MSI Motherboard AUX Temps are reaching up to 120C!

mmmory

Hello, there is a thing called AUX in temperatures and it's constantly increasing up to 100-110C just after 20 minutes of gaming. All temperature monitor programs are showing exactly the same value, it's running at 50-60°C even on idle. I guess that should be on load actually. These temps will literally fry my motherboard. I can only play games for 1 hour because the temperature seem to hit even 120°C if I go further. Nothing is overclocked on my system and my case airflow is perfectly fine, also using an aftermarket cpu cooler. All other temps are below 40°C but this is absurdly high. Some people say this is an invalid value and should be ignored, some say that these temperatures are motherboard's VRM temps. I think the latter is true because when I touch that area on the other side of the case, I can already feel it's pretty hot.

MSI support said that they checked the bios code&circuit and couldn't find that sensor in bios so it could be virtual temp from the software. BIOS and MSI Control Center only showing cpu&system temps which are fine, but other software such as HWInfo, HWMonitor and Speedfan show this temp. And like I said, I can actually feel the heat with touching the other side of the case. It's burning like hell. And it doesn't always show high, constant values or odd temps like negative or below ambient temperature. It just heats like a regular computer part while in game, but never stops, overheating up to 100C immediately. Then slowly cools down when I exit the game. Please help me I can't even play games for 1 hour..

My system:
MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
i5 2500k @stock /w CM Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Veng. 2X4 RAM
Silverstone 700W PSU

[attachment=1390]

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
Well, I think that MSI should know best whether this value comes from a real temperature source.
At the first guess I'd say it's an invalid one, but since it seems to behave correct (lower values while idle, higher under load) and not completely erratic like other not connected sensors do, it might come from a real source. Even if it's showing such high values. Generally the hottest parts on mainboard are voltage regulators, so it *might* come from there. But to be sure I suggest to physically check temperature of this part of mainboard.

Martin said:
Well, I think that MSI should know best whether this value comes from a real temperature source.
At the first guess I'd say it's an invalid one, but since it seems to behave correct (lower values while idle, higher under load) and not completely erratic like other not connected sensors do, it might come from a real source. Even if it's showing such high values. Generally the hottest parts on mainboard are voltage regulators, so it *might* come from there. But to be sure I suggest to physically check temperature of this part of mainboard.

Thanks for the answer. Today I tried touching the heatsink right after I close the game. The aux temp was 100C. My finger didn't burn but I could not hold it there for more than 3 seconds. So apparently it's getting pretty hot, but I don't know that if the heatsink is actually hotter than VRMs or cooler. And the strange thing is the airflow is quite good and chill between the cpu cooler radiator and exhaust fan. I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe I should try to unmount the heatsink and reapply thermal compound. I hope I won't mess things up...

[attachment=1391] 

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 12
You mean the heatsink above the CPU? I think that should be the VR. Those chips usually run hotter than CPUs, but 110 C is way too much in my opinion, even though their limits are somewhere around 120 C (depending on particular type).

Martin said:
You mean the heatsink above the CPU? I think that should be the VR. Those chips usually run hotter than CPUs, but 110 C is way too much in my opinion, even though their limits are somewhere around 120 C (depending on particular type).

No I meant the left side of the CPU which should be mosfets I guess. The one which has military class II thing on it. Never tried touching the one at the top, probably can't even reach because of the radiator. But the temp on the other side of the case was pretty much across those area, just near the cpu. Maybe it's the mosfet temp, don't know.

Back