Need help reading logs

Cheeky

for the better part of a year I've had an on and off problem with my pc, when under load, usually instantly, ill get a black screen fans slammed to full until i force a reboot. This will happen sometimes immediately after starting fur mark, overwatches main menu, and most games in loading. however sometimes it wont happen instantly and will maybe take place 20 minutes into a gaming session, has never happened browsing or using music production software so i feel as though the CPU is safe.

the first time i had the problem i swapped power cables to my computer and it disappeared, the second time it happened i swapped out one of the pcie 8 pins to my graphics card and it went away. and the third time i replaced the thermal paste on my GPU.

this final time i have done all of the above and the issue still persists.

can anybody see any glaring issues with these logs ? I'm not really too sure what to look for and was just hoping i could get some help. anything is appreciated.

Attachments

• 5.txt
    433.4 KB · Views: 4
One thing that immediately stood out to me: The voltage on the 5V rail is starting to rise far too high after the 6:40 minute mark into the log! Voltages are supposed to be within +/- 5% of their nominal values, but in your case the 5V goes beyond 5.6V, thus exceeding 10% tolerance. If this measurement is accurate, it can be quite dangerous to many components in your system.

5V is used on a lot of connectors in a standard ATX system, main ATX 24-pin, SATA, molex, USB, PCIe slots - I recommend to check every single one of them. Check both ends of the main ATX 24-pin cable if it's a modular PSU. Unplug everything you don't need, internally and externally, and unplug and replug the components you do need. Since USB also uses 5V it's possible that an external device is causing this. I suggest to (temporarily) unplug everything except keyboard and mouse.

Regards
Dalai

Hi Cheeky,

here is the graphical representation of what @Dalai has already mentioned:

Logs.png

ATX allows +/- 5%

ATX.png

I have never seen such a 5V curve :oops:

@Dalai said "If this measurement is accurate, it can be quite dangerous to many components in your system" -> absolute agreement !

Regards
Tom

Hi Cheeky,

power supplies usually have many protection circuits, one of them is the OVP circuit: Over Voltage Protection. A power supply feature which shuts down the unit, or suspends the output, when the voltage exceeds a preset level. It is generally activated when the voltage output exceeds 110% to 130%. This seems to be the problem on your system.

If possible, replace the power supply with another one ...

Regards
Tom

While I don't rule out the possibility of the PSU being bad, I suggest to try things that are free first. It's possible that a bad connection somewhere changes resistance, thus causing a change in voltage. It could be as simple as one of the main ATX cable's pins slipped out of the connector.

Regards
Dalai

Hi Dalai,

bad connections are typically decreasing the voltage, not increasing. I assume that the voltage regulation of the power supply is failing. Because it starts failing after a few minutes, there could be a temperature dependency.

Replacing the power supply does not necessarily mean that Cheedky have to buy one right away, maybe he can borrow one from somewhere.

Regards
Tom

Back