(New) v8 dependencies in PE?

mikepjohnson

I've been using the great HWInfo for many many years, thanks for this life (or at least: time) saving tool.
I mostly use it in bare bones Windows PE.
To my knowledge, the program has never had any major file dependencies, and has worked in even the most basic PE. Now with version 8, it asks for d2d1.dll.
When I copy this file over to the HWInfo folder, it still seems to require other dll's.
What can I do to overcome this?
Thanks again for this very useful program.

According to the import table HWiNFO64 8.0 depends on four more modules: d2d2.dll, dwrite.dll, tdh.dll and pdh.dll. If you copy/integrate these into WinPE it should work. That is, unless one or more of these DLLs depend on other DLLs which are missing on WinPE.

[ADD]
It looks like most of these DLLs are missing on WinPE 3.1 (Win7). Some of them are also missing on WinPE 5.1 (Win8.1) and newer. But it depends on whether one looks at winpe.wim or boot.wim (the latter is the one I as a template for building my own WinPE).

Last edited:
Just copying d2d1.dll and dwrite.dll probably won't help as they might have other dependencies. But I will workaround this.
Important is if tdh.dll and pdh.dll are present in WinPE or perhaps any others missing there.

Last edited:
I have pretty much all the ADK PE boot.wim files in a folder here (from 7600 to 26100), as a base for my (simple) PE builder. Quickly opening them with 7zip and navigating to windows\system32 shows me "tdh.dll" is available in all of them, don't see "pdh.dll" there, though.

Thanks for picking up on this so quickly, please tell me what you would like me to test further.

I booted ADK PE 26100 from USB, with a full installed 26100 on the harddisk (so I can copy over the files to the X:\windows\system32 ramdisk folder).
The latest HWInfo is on a folder on the harddisk, started from the PE command line.
First start: "The code execution cannot proceed because d2d1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem".
(copy d:\windows\system32\d2d1.dll x:\windows\system32 - files are all 26100 from 3/31/2024)

"The code execution cannot proceed because pdh.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem".
(copy over pdh.dll like above)

WORKS!!!!

Sorry, I might have used files from different Windows builds in earlier tests. For now, it seems d2d1.dll and pdh.dll are the only new dependencies.

So it's up to you to decide if you can work around these dependencies, or just inform PE users about this.

Thanks again for this excellent program, and your quick reply! Have a great weekend.

EDIT: Of course, I will test more Windows/ PE builds, too.

Back