NVMe SSD high temps & sensor meaning

kriegísyourbae

Hi there,

I am fairly new around drive specs and readings, so I hope I am not asking something stupid.

I have a 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD that is often performing pretty badly. When copying files from one folder to another on the same drive, speeds are very high in the beginning but then drop rapidly. While they start at a max of 700 MB/s, they end up at a max of 50MB/s which is really terrible. With HWInfo64 I was able to see that some temperature reading is incredibly high, but I wasn't able to find out what that reading/sensor actually means. The sensor is called "Drive Temperature 5", but when I hover over it it just says "undefined temperature". Is there a listing of sensor readings or what they mean in particular somewhere?

I was wondering whether someone would be able to shed some light.

I'd also like to run a benchmark/stress test for the drive in order to identify better what the issue might be, but I couldn't really find out what the best tool for that would be. I know about CrystalDisk, but there's quite a few more that offer different methods and options and I don't know which would be ideal for my drive and my purpose.

Please let me know if you need more information about my case or my system, below you can already find my most important specs. I am also attaching screenshots of the copy process and of the HWInfo readings.

OS - Windows 10 Home
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU - Nvidia Gainward GTX 1070
Board - MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus
RAM - 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15
SSD - 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 2280
PSU - 500W be quiet! Pure Power 11

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 5
  • hwinfo.png