OpenFanCtrlMin=1 with Task Scheduler auto launch Issue

Intent of application usage:
For the sole purpose of 3-Fan control on an old Alienware M18xr2 LAPTOP, with "upgrades" of dual GTX 980m and i7-3920XM.

Sub issue: (Task manager can not stop HWiNFO64 when frozen).
Sub issue 2: HWiNFO 32/64 can not see the CPU fan nor control it.
Main issue: see TL;DR:

Using HWiNFO64 to control the GPU fans (as the CPU fan doesn't show as an option, although its monitored correctly).

Windows 10 x64: Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)
Attachment: "System Information File.zip" -> "System Information File.nfo"

Setup to reproduce concern:
  1. Delete the associated INIs. ("%systemdrive%\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.INI")
  2. Run HWiNFO64 (to generate new INI file
  3. Select sensors only
  4. Oopen fan control
  5. Click custom Auto
  6. Close HWiNFO64
  7. add OpenFanCtrlMin=1 to "%systemdrive%\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.INI"
Task Scheduler setup:
  1. (delete run, select sensors only, open fan control, click custom Auto, Close, add OpenFanCtrlMin=1)
  2. Make a "Task Scheduler" item,
  3. General = "Run only when user is logged on" & "Run with highest privileges",
  4. Triggers = "At log on" (my current admin account),
  5. Actions = "Start a program" -> "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.exe"
  6. Conditions = all unchecked
  7. Settings = "Allow task to be run on demand", "If the task fails, restart every: 1 minute" - "Attempt to restart up to: 3 times", "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop", "If the task is running, then the following rule applies: Stop the existing instance"
Note: the "stop the existing instance" was an attempt to mitigate the Main issue: (see TL;DR).
[although the condition shouldn't be triggered in this usage case...therefore irrelevant... The idea was to have a backup method, in which manually launching the app via a shortcut on the desktop....in the case of a freeze... to trigger the condition, and subsequently reload and bypass the GUI missing issue].
  1. Reboot computer

TL;DR

OpenFanCtrlMin=1 with Task Scheduler auto launch Issue:

Main issue:
Starting HWiNFO64 with the previous set up Hard Freezes as a result of trying to open HWiNFO GUI subsequent times from the loaded HWiNFO icon in the system tray.
  1. GUI will not open from system tray icon (more then once: 2nd, 3rd.....Nth times fail ie. No GUI).
  2. Unable to "kill" HWiNFO64 from Task Manager.

I attempted to be as detailed as possible. Will be happy to provide more information if needed.
Thank you everyone here for your time and energy/assistance!

-Keith

Attachments

• System Information File.zip
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
For diagnostics I have also tried this collection of settings (as found in another users post on this forum, on one of the many "how to auto launch fan control on HWiNFO posts over the years... One of which i believe was mine :cool: live and learn "how to search user forum for dummies")

[Settings]
SensorsOnly=1
Autorun=1
OpenFanCtrlMin=1
OpenSystemSummary=0
ShowWelcomeAndProgress=0
AutoUpdateBetaDisable=1
AutoUpdate=0
MinimalizeMainWnd=1
MinimalizeSensorsClose=1
MinimalizeSensors=1
-Keith

Last edited:
Note: This issue is regards to a LAPTOP originally reviewed in Q4 2012

Alienware M18X R2 Review <-external link

For those that "have no issues here" AND are using a similar type of setup... Fell free to report so :cool:

If you have the time I would love to get a copy of your HWiNFO ini file for diagnostics.

Also, if you would be so kind as to, leave a detailed report of your system as well it would be immensely helpful!

How to Generate a System Information File <-external link
Note: a "System Information File" includes information such as your Account name and devices attached / an possibly previously installed: feel free to remove if that concerns you... so if you just did a firmware update on your wife's rechargeable friend you have been warned :p

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to your help

-Keith

Okay although this doesn't directly solve my issue with the previous method (launching with task scheduler), it appears to be a working one for the old Alienware M18X R2. (Changed to Autostart in the initial setup)

HWiNFO64.ini
[Settings]
HighestIdeAddress=-1
CSMI_SAS_Support=0
DebugDirect=0
OpenSystemSummary=0
MinimalizeMainWnd=1
MinimalizeSensorsClose=1
AutoUpdate=0
SensorsOnly=1
AcpiEval=0
ShowWelcomeAndProgress=0
NvmlSupport=0
oneAPI=0
LPC=0
EC=0
SMART=0
ATAStats=0
SupportCorsairAsetek=0
SMBusAdrExclude=11111111111111110000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000000000
GPUI2CBusExclude=01111110
OpenFanCtrlMin=1

Thank you again Mr. Fox!

Back