PCI Express 2.0 16x identification issue

sl91

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank Martin for the very high quality of hwinfo32 software; I am using it almost everyday. I have a computer based on the very new P67 intel chipset: Asus P8P67 deluxe. My videocard is a PNY / Geforce GTX580. When I look to the PCI express details of the Nvidia Geforce GTX 580 (p1261) in hwinfo32, I am very stonished to see that the indicated maximum and current link speed are only 2.5Gb/s and not 5.0Gb/s. At the same time the indicated version is 2.0 and the maximum and current lnk width are 16x. Since everything here is very new, it should be PCIE 2.0, 16x, 5Gb/s. The other Embedded devices connected to the PCH PCIexpress (i.e. Jmicron SATA, Marvell,...) are indicated as 2.0, 1x and 5Gb/s. Can any one help me to understand why the video PCIexpress link speed (maximum and current) is only 2.5 and not 5Gb/s ?

Best regards

sl91

Please attach a HWiNFO32 Report File so I can check the details.
Anyway, I checked other dumps with P8P67 I have and there graphics cards report 5.0Gb/s, so I don't think this is a bug in HWiNFO32. Maybe you should check BIOS settings?

Martin,

Here is the report file. I am familiar with Bios settings. However, I don't think that this kind of setting is accessible to the user.

Best regards

sl91

Attachments

• sl91.XML
    253.1 KB · Views: 29
If you take a look at the root port, it reports 5.0 Gb/s, so the issue must be due to a limitation on either side or link speed negotation.
Unfortunately I don't know the reason in this particular case, maybe you should check some forums where users have the same combination of hardware.

Martin,

I found the origin of my problem. It is verysimple. I did not knew that under power saving conditions (i.e. idle) the pciexpress 2.0 frquency is divided by a factor of two (1.25 instead of 2.5MHz) in addition to the GPU/Shasers/VRAM speeds lowering. When I launch hwinfo32 after stating a GPU bench test (i.e. OCCT for example), the reported PCI express speed is 5.0Gb/s. So the question is to know if it is possible that hwinfo take into account this behaviour just in order to let the end user knowing why he is reading 2.5 and not 5.0.

Thank's

sl91

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll update the System Summary screen to check this setting constantly so the actual value is reported.

sl91 said:
Martin,

I found the origin of my problem. It is verysimple. I did not knew that under power saving conditions (i.e. idle) the pciexpress 2.0 frquency is divided by a factor of two (1.25 instead of 2.5MHz) in addition to the GPU/Shasers/VRAM speeds lowering. When I launch hwinfo32 after stating a GPU bench test (i.e. OCCT for example), the reported PCI express speed is 5.0Gb/s. So the question is to know if it is possible that hwinfo take into account this behaviour just in order to let the end user knowing why he is reading 2.5 and not 5.0.

Thank's

sl91

Back