persistent driver

mididoc

hi,

there is an option in preferences "persistent driver".

what does that mean.

if i disable it i find with "autoruns" still an autoloaded service:

"hwinfo64a.sys"

thanks for more info.

if i delete this autoload entry, hwinfo64 starts anyway.

:cool:

If you move the mouse over this setting, it will give you some more information.
When this setting is enabled, HWiNFO leaves the driver installed in system (but inactive - waiting for request) during exit. After starting HWiNFO again it doesn't need to request the system to install the driver again.
When you disable it, HWiNFO always uninstalls the driver during exit and during each subsequent start it installs it again. This option is suitable for portable versions.

Martin said:
If you move the mouse over this setting, it will give you some more information.
When this setting is enabled, HWiNFO leaves the driver installed in system (but inactive - waiting for request) during exit. After starting HWiNFO again it doesn't need to request the system to install the driver again.
When you disable it, HWiNFO always uninstalls the driver during exit and during each subsequent start it installs it again. This option is suitable for portable versions.

ok thanks.

but why does it not matter if the autoload for "hwinfo64a.sys" is disabled.
is the the driver we are talking about?

Yes, that's the driver we're talking about in case you're running on a 64-bit system.
But sorry, I don't understand your point. Can you please explain more precisely?

Martin said:
Yes, that's the driver we're talking about in case you're running on a 64-bit system.
But sorry, I don't understand your point. Can you please explain more precisely?

i use "autoruns" to verify the autoloading processes of the computer.
there i find the "hwinfo64a.sys" autoloaded. if i disable this, say that the driver is not autoloaded anymore, hwinfo is running fine though. so why is the driver autoloaded?

if it's not autoloaded, does hwinfo then load it only when you run the program?
and if "persistent driver" is disabled, does it unload then after exiting the program?

:cool:

Yes, as I already explained - if Persistent Driver is disabled, then HWiNFO32/64 unloads the driver from system upon exit. When the driver is not installed, HWiNFO does load/install it during startup automatically. If the driver is persistent (installed) then HWiNFO doesn't need to do this everytime it starts.
This is suitable for Portable usage, where you don't want to leave anything installed on the machine after you check it using HWiNFO.

Maybe you're just confused what the "autoload" in Autoruns means? It's probably same to the term "driver is installed in system".

Back