Poll different sensors at non-default intervals

ssateneth

So I have an Asus Rampave V Extreme motherboard with an ASUS EC embedded sensor chip. It has some useful sensors, including ones that let you hook up a custom temperature probe to it. Unfortunately, if you poll this sensor too often, it will usually just stop responding/disappear eventually (sometimes within a few hours, or a few days, or sometime during the week, seems "random").

I've temporarily remedied the sensor freeze by increasing the polling interval to 1 minute, but this isn't ideal for devices that have their conditions change rapidly, such as CPU temperature/frequency depending on load.

So I propose adding a field to the "custom" tab of the sensor status window configuration to declare a custom polling interval that ignores the global polling interval. Would such a thing be possible or is this too big of a request?

Thank you for your time and rapid response.

Currently it's possible to set a custom polling interval for disk (SMART) sensors.
I see that such a setting might be useful for some other sensors like the EC, so I'll consider adding such a feature.

Just one (ok, two) quick question(s):

I'm still on v5.34 and just had a look at the sensor settings - I see the default polling interval is 2000 ms and S.M.A.R.T. status set to update "every 1 cycles". So just to clarify, this option means that it (S.M.A.R.T. status) gets polled every 2 seconds ? If I'd change it to, say, 5 cycles it would make it 10 seconds for that ?

And one more thing - if I set a bigger polling interval I'm guessing also the program's resource usage (albeit insignificant) would be sligthly lower ? I'm mostly just looking to monitor a few temp sensors, but for that it could probably do just fine with 5 or even 10 seconds polling intervals.

Thanks !

Jebedaias said:
Just one (ok, two) quick question(s):

I'm still on v5.34 and just had a look at the sensor settings - I see the default polling interval is 2000 ms and S.M.A.R.T. status set to update "every 1 cycles". So just to clarify, this option means that it (S.M.A.R.T. status) gets polled every 2 seconds ? If I'd change it to, say, 5 cycles it would make it 10 seconds for that ?

Yes.

Jebedaias said:
And one more thing - if I set a bigger polling interval I'm guessing also the program's resource usage (albeit insignificant) would be sligthly lower ? I'm mostly just looking to monitor a few temp sensors, but for that it could probably do just fine with 5 or even 10 seconds polling intervals.

That's possible, but it really depends on system and sensor type. For example some storage drivers can cause quite higher usage when reading SMART data, that's also why this option was added.

I've been using HWinfo for almost 2 months now with the default sensor settings and I didn't notice any problems, but I was thinking of increasing the polling interval as I'd be ok with 5 seconds instead of 2 for example.

As for S.M.A.R.T. for me even 1 minute would probably be ok since drive temperature doesn't vary that much anyway. Or do you mean that changing the default for it would actually increase usage when reading S.M.A.R.T. data ?

No, that won't increase usage. The less anything is polled, the less usage.

Back