Question about RAM speed, please respond.

leto

I have a single RAM stick of 16gb, 3200Mhz. Can someone explain this to me?
To me it seems it is running at that half the speed, 1600Mhz. Even the EffClock is showing 1600Mhz, is that normal?

Screenshot_2.pngScreenshot_1.png

DDR - 3200 "MHz" is the data rate. Some call it the effective rate, but this is different from the Effective Clock HWiNFO shows.
Both Clock and Effective clock in this case represent the command clock. Effective clock is the clock with respect to low power states and other clock reduction mechanisms.

Last edited:
DDR - 3200 "MHz" is the data rate. Some call it the effective rate, but this is different from the Effective Clock HWiNFO shows.
Both Clock and Effective clock in this case represent the command clock. Effective clock is the clock with respect to low power states and other clock reduction mechanisms.
So nothing is wrong with my RAM right?
I'm pretty new to PC in general.

This isn't indicating any issue. The RAM clock should be ramping up if the module is really 1600 MHz but since we can't read its data (SPD), we can't confirm this.

DDR = double data rate, sends data twice per clock cycle.
So your 3200 is clocked at 1600, half the DDR rate. that's normal.
If we look at DDR5 6000 for example, the clock speed is 3000. If you had DDR4 3600, the clock speed would be 1800mhz and so on.

Back