Question - ASUS buggy WMI workaround

electrified

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your work on HWiNFO!

In the release notes for 5.92 you say "Added workaround for ASUS ROG STRIX B450/X470 boards with buggy WMI implementation."

I was wondering if you could share any information on the workaround?

I have written a Linux sensors driver for the ASUS WMI interface (https://github.com/electrified/asus-wmi-sensors) but I currently exclude WMI versions < 3 or 2 with some exceptions, due to what I've read about issues on earlier versions.

If I could add support for the Strix boards that report version 0 that would be great  :)

Best regards,
Ed

The workaround I added is that WMI version 1 is excluded for all boards and 2 for "ROG STRIX" series only.
Unfortunately it seems that some later BIOS versions are still buggy.

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, Asus don't seem to be updating the WMI code in new BIOS releases. Hopefully they will some time in the future...

Well, I'm not so optimistic. It seems that ASUS lost interest in WMI sensor monitoring.

Ah, that is a shame. If properly implemented a standardised WMI interface across all their boards seems like a good idea.

This idea was created also because reading sensor values from the SIO/EC could cause issues on Ryzen mainboards, especially due to lack of synchronization with the EC.

Yes, you need to open the HWiNFO64.INI file and put the following option at the end of the file:
AsusWMI=0

Martin said:
Yes, you need to open the HWiNFO64.INI file and put the following option at the end of the file:
AsusWMI=0

Hello,

I scratched my head for a while, because hwinfo was reading a wrong value for 12v from my board (Asus Prime x470-pro), so I stumbled across this thread. Adding AsusWMI=0 to the file you mentioned solved this problem for me, see screenshots!
The board has the latest bios installed.

That option might solve the +12V reporting, but in some cases might result in problems when accessing sensors on the SIO chip. This can result in various system malfunction or BSODs.
If you observe such issues, I'd recommend to remove that setting and wait for ASUS to fix this. A few days ago I got a confirmation that it will be fixed in a new BIOS update.

Martin said:
That option might solve the +12V reporting, but in some cases might result in problems when accessing sensors on the SIO chip. This can result in various system malfunction or BSODs.
If you observe such issues, I'd recommend to remove that setting and wait for ASUS to fix this. A few days ago I got a confirmation that it will be fixed in a new BIOS update.

Thank you for the quick response! Great to hear!

Back