RAM Upgrade

WMD

Hi,
The maximum amount of RAM, my hp 1000-1401AU Notebook PC can use is 8 GB. The type of Memory is DDR3L with 1600Mhz. My laptop have two memory slots and installed RAM currently is 6 GB. I am considering to buy new ADATA 4 GB DDR3L 1600 Mhz RAM (14 x 10.2 x 1.6 cm ).But my other Crucial 4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3L RAM dimension is 17.46 x 1.89 x 5.4 cm .

So Will they work together on my laptop though their dimensions are different? Would I able to insert the new ADATA RAM into memory slot (currenly having SK Hynix 2 GB DDR3L 1600 Mhz RAM) easily?

Last edited:
Judging by the dimensions you gave, I guess these are regular DIMMs for desktop PCs, not SO-DIMMs. However, I'm still wondering why these modules have three different dimensions, while at least one of them, the width, must be identical - if they really are of the same DDR memory generation. Not sure what modules you have/consider without knowing the exact model number. Is it possible that some of these measurements are only part of the module, and maybe are millimeters instead of centimeters? See these image:
https://www.simmtester.com/page/news/images/dimm/ddr3 240 dimm.jpg

Anyway, laptops usually use SO-DIMMs. If this Wikipedia article or this Corsair page is to be believed, these modules are 67.6 mm wide, and their height is much less than that (around 30mm); DDR4 SO-DIMMs are 2 mm wider. It's very likely your laptop also uses SO-DIMM.

Regards
Dalai

Reactions: WMD
Judging by the dimensions you gave, I guess these are regular DIMMs for desktop PCs, not SO-DIMMs. However, I'm still wondering why these modules have three different dimensions, while at least one of them, the width, must be identical - if they really are of the same DDR memory generation. Not sure what modules you have/consider without knowing the exact model number. Is it possible that some of these measurements are only part of the module, and maybe are millimeters instead of centimeters? See these image:
https://www.simmtester.com/page/news/images/dimm/ddr3 240 dimm.jpg

Anyway, laptops usually use SO-DIMMs. If this Wikipedia article or this Corsair page is to be believed, these modules are 67.6 mm wide, and their height is much less than that (around 30mm); DDR4 SO-DIMMs are 2 mm wider. It's very likely your laptop also uses SO-DIMM.

Regards
Dalai
Hi, Hi , Hi,

Following are the images of the ADATA 4 GB DDR3L 1600 Mhz (SO-DIMM) and CRUCIAL 4 GB DDR3L 1600 Mhz (SO-DIMM) RAMs

1643292124370.png 1643292146212.png

Last edited:
Those are SO-DIMMs alright. Not sure where you got their dimensions from. The ADATA datasheet for these modules says they're 1.18" (=29.97 mm) high, which seems to be the default height. Does HP have a QVL (qualified vendor list) or a list of compatible modules? If so, I suggest you check that list.

Anyway, the modules should be compatible with your system. As long as it's DDR3L with a speed and voltage the CPU can handle, it should work. But keep in mind that not all modules work well with modules from other manufacturers. Matching modules would be better, I guess.

Regards
Dalai

Reactions: WMD
Back