Read CPU & GPU types with Rainmeter.

JokinenK

Hi,
First of all I really like the HWiNFO, just a great app.
I have played around with the Rainmeter plug-in and it works great, but I couldn't find a nice way to read the CPU's & GPU's name with it (I know I can do it via registry but it's not working well with mobiles (enduro & optimus).

So would it be possible to add that feature under the "Shared Memory Support" ?
I mean few more ID's to read, in example with values of "Intel Core i7 3610QM" and "AMD Raden HD 7970M". If not it's not a big deal, just a feature request!

- Kalle Jokinen

Currently the GPU name is part of the GPU sensor name and I can make the same for the CPU (it would be a part of the CPU #n sensor name).
This is the easiest way without breaking compatibility with the current layout of shared memory.
Nick, what do you think ?

Martin said:
Currently the GPU name is part of the GPU sensor name and I can make the same for the CPU (it would be a part of the CPU #n sensor name).
This is the easiest way without breaking compatibility with the current layout of shared memory.
Nick, what do you think ?
Hi Martin/Kalle,

Yes, I think that would be a good solution. In the shared memory viewer application used to get the ID for the HWiNFOID Rainmeter parameter, it displays Sensor, Entry and Units in addition to the ID and value. So perhaps I can just add a second Rainmeter parameter to the plugin called HWiNFOType. If this is missing or invalid, the value will continue to be returned. But if it contains sensor, entry or units, then I can return the appropriate string. This way I'll get all 3 now and not have to add the others in the future.

Martin, I don't need anything from you to make this addition as the shared memory format is not changing. As you change sensor and entry labels, they will change here as well.

I'm currently bogged down with a few projects right now. This change should not take long, but I'll have to juggle it into my schedule so it might be a few. I'll reply to the main thread with the update when its ready.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks Nick. Though I don't fully understand how you want achieve that, but ok :) Anyway, it's no problem for me to add the CPU name to the CPU #n string sensor name. That would then look like "CPU [#0] Intel Core i7-3930K" (instead of prevoius "CPU #0" sensor name). That way you can grab the particular CPU name.

I think he wants to add second feature to rainmeter plugin that reads the sensor type string instead of the value. Sounds just what I asked for :)

btw. thanks for the quick answers & moving this topic to correct subforum.

- Kalle Jokinen

Martin said:
Thanks Nick. Though I don't fully understand how you want achieve that, but ok :) Anyway, it's no problem for me to add the CPU name to the CPU #n string sensor name. That would then look like "CPU [#0] Intel Core i7-3930K" (instead of prevoius "CPU #0" sensor name). That way you can grab the particular CPU name.

All I'm saying is that the sensor names are already accessible in shared memory. You are going to make them more descriptive, but this does not change how I will access the data (shared memory format is not changing). So for right now, it just contains "CPU #0". So if I add a second parameter to the Rainmeter config files, a user could do something like:
Code:
[HWiNFOCPU0Name]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\HWiNFO.dll
HWiNFOID=1007030
HWiNFOType=SensorName
This will return "CPU #0" instead of the percentage used because of the HWiNFOType parameter. Once you update the label in shared memory, it will return "CPU [#0] Intel Core i7-3930K".

But if I'm going to take the time to add a new parameter of HWiNFOType, then I'll allow "SensorName", "EntryName" and "Units" as valid values. This might return something like "CPU [#0] Intel Core i7-3930K", "CPU [#0] Usage", and "%" respectively - whatever values are in shared memory for that particular sensor & entry.

Thanks,
Nick

I think I got it now :) Sorry, I don't have much experience with RainMeter..
Nevertheless, I thought that Kalle wanted to extract just the pure CPU and GPU name strings to display them somewhere in his own skin (not to be a part of the actual reading value). Is that so ?

Martin said:
I think I got it now :) Sorry, I don't have much experience with RainMeter..
Nevertheless, I thought that Kalle wanted to extract just the pure CPU and GPU name strings to display them somewhere in his own skin (not to be a part of the actual reading value). Is that so ?

Correct. So he'll create 2 measures, one for the name and one for usage/temp/etc. However, I do not plan on stripping the "CPU [#0]" prefix on the sensor name. So that would have to be done afterwards if needed.

Just posting to say thanks for your work Martin, newest beta seem to include the CPU type in sensor name! :)

- Kalle Jokinen

First of all, great job your plugin is awesome! Thanks a lot for making this! :)

I just started experimenting around with Rainmaker skins and one of the firstissues I stumbled into was retrieving the CPU and GPU names since I found a skin as start off that had the names "hard coded" only.
Well that's how I found this thread. ;)

In the sticky post (but unfortunately closed:dodgy:) you have given the following code:
Code:
[HWiNFOGPU0UsageName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=HWiNFO.dll
HWiNFOID=#HWiNFOGPU0UsageID#
HWiNFOType=SensorName
Substitute="GPU [#0]: ":"",": NVAPI":""
UpdateDivider=30

If I understand it correctly this only fully works nVidia cards?

The code I came up with to solve this is only a minor change to yours but (hopefully) working for non nVidia cards with using regex:
Code:
[HWiNFOGPU0UsageName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=HWiNFO.dll
HWiNFOID=#HWiNFOGPU0UsageID#
HWiNFOType=SensorName
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^(.*]: )":"","(: .*)$":""
UpdateDivider=30

Thought I'd share in case other's are looking for a solution.

Keep up the great work! Btw are you planing on any updates for additional sensors and information?

/cheers
FireBlade

Thanks for sharing the updated code.

HWiNFO is being updated regulary. Do you mean any particular sensors that should be added ?

Martin said:
Thanks for sharing the updated code.

HWiNFO is being updated regulary. Do you mean any particular sensors that should be added ?

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply!

Not sure if it's on your agenda at all but basically information on the other components not covered yet. Especially network adapter and more disk information.

While I know most of that information can be obtained from other sources or some even directly visible in windows itself it would be great to have one source only to obtain all the information in monitoring skins for rainmeter.

But to be honest, the question originaly was directed at stangowner and the plugin. Would be great to have all the information available that HWinfo provides (min,max vlaues, info from summary page, etc. ) :)

I love your tool and the rainmeter plugin, would be great to be able to abandon any other tool and have one for all. ;)

/cheers
FireBlade

The plugin displays only information which is made available by HWiNFO, so your question is in fact directed at me ;)
I have the network adapter information on my list, but haven't implemented it yet.

Martin said:
The plugin displays only information which is made available by HWiNFO, so your question is in fact directed at me ;)
I have the network adapter information on my list, but haven't implemented it yet.

That's great news! Looking forward to it!
Keep up the great work, it's highly appreciated!

FireBlade said:
The code I came up with to solve this is only a minor change to yours but (hopefully) working for non nVidia cards with using regex:
Code:
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^(.*]: )":"","(: .*)$":""
Thanks for sharing. This would be a great option for skin developers (it works on my nvidas). I just showed a specific example as a find/replace feature as most users don't know regex.

Sorry, I guess closing the thread prevents quoting. I closed it so the official docs are right there without anyone needing to hunt or miss info. We have a whole subforum to discuss specific topics. Otherwise, we'd have 1 thread that is 27 pages and an empty forum :)

Some values are changing in each reboot, is that normal???

Video card usage, core clock, and stuff about often changes either goes up or down, so I have to edit everytime I shut down or reboot.

Is this normal?

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO Rev1
CPU: FX-8350
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: Corsair 4x2 CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
Video card: Asus Radeon HD 7970
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
Storage: 1Tb WD Green 2 500GB WD Green
Optical: Pioner 16x BD-RW
Optional: 2 External HDD, 1 on Docking, 1 from Power eSata
PSU: Corsair TX850wChasis: ThermalTake Dokker

Back