Ryzen 1700x temp sensor, which one?

LHM

Hi guys, new to the forum and new to HWinfo.

Yesterday I installed a new Ryzen 1700x, Asus Crosshair VI hero and DDR4 Trident Z 3200 ram to my system.

I have been trying to monitor temps of my Ryzen but I keep reading about this 20 degree offset. Now that's all fine, BUT, can HWinfo show me the correct CPU temp, and if so which CPU temp is it in the sensors part of the app??

Another question, I stream using OBS. I seem to be having issues when I do logging reports on HWInfo while trying to game and stream at the same time. Basically what happens is the game I play crashes. Any info on this? I really want to see what cort of CPU temps I am getting while I game and stream at the same time.

The "CPU (Tctl)" temperature is the raw readout from the internal CPU sensor. According to AMD, for the X-series Ryzen CPUs, one needs to subtract 20 C to get the true temperature. So this is the "CPU (Tdie)" value. But please note, that this readout might differ based on some system-specific settings like Sense MI Skew.
Then under the motherboard sensor you should see a CPU temperature, that should reflect the internal CPU value. The "CPU (socket)" value is the external temperature of the CPU measured by a diode close to the socket.
There's a good (but long) thread at OCN regarding Ryzen and ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO, which I recommend as it contains all possible details about this system: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

Regarding the sensor logging - are you sure HWiNFO is responsible for the game crashes?

Martin said:
The "CPU (Tctl)" temperature is the raw readout from the internal CPU sensor. According to AMD, for the X-series Ryzen CPUs, one needs to subtract 20 C to get the true temperature. So this is the "CPU (Tdie)" value. But please note, that this readout might differ based on some system-specific settings like Sense MI Skew.
Then under the motherboard sensor you should see a CPU temperature, that should reflect the internal CPU value. The "CPU (socket)" value is the external temperature of the CPU measured by a diode close to the socket.
There's a good (but long) thread at OCN regarding Ryzen and ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO, which I recommend as it contains all possible details about this system: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

Regarding the sensor logging - are you sure HWiNFO is responsible for the game crashes?

Thank you. So what your saying is the motherboard CPU temp value is the one I should take as correct, minus 20 degs??

I think it's the "CPU (Tdie)" value. But it seems that nobody is 100% sure about this, including guys from AMD.

Martin said:
I think it's the "CPU (Tdie)" value. But it seems that nobody is 100% sure about this, including guys fro

I may be a bit late but the "CPU (Tdie)" shows the exact same value as Aida64 while stresstesting

Meanwhile a lot things have cleared, Tdie should represent the internal CPU temperature. Some boards can also monitor the CPU socket (external) temperature.

Back