Simple questions about CPU/GPU power/temperature

bgmenot

Q1. (A)Tctl/Tdie, (B)Tdie, (C)Motherboard CPU. A seems always higher than B, and C seems to be closer to A. It's a ZEN 2. What CPU temperature am I supposed to use, A?

Q2. (A)CPU package power (SMU), (B)CPU Core Power (SVI2 FTN). What is the TOTAL power consumption of my CPU, A+B?

Q3. (A)GPU Core, (B)GPU Aux, (C)GPU Chip. What is the TOTAL power consumption of my graphics card, A+B+C?

Q1:
A=C its the same. For more on the temps read the post from the link. Your CPU cooling solution is regulated by A (Tctl = control). You should read all posts in link or go for #13 and after.

Q2:
A = CPU package power (SMU) is the Total power consumption of the CPU
B = CPU all cores power only.
But there's more than A, B.

So lets see 1 by 1...

CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) = consumption only of all cores together (core chiplet(s)/CCD(s))
SoC Power (SVI2 TFN) = consumption of the I/O chiplet

CPU+SoC Power (SVI2 TFN) = CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN) + SoC Power (SVI2 TFN)
CPU package power (SMU)
= CPU+SoC Power (SVI2 TFN) + Other stuff that cannot be monitored individually

Q1: Tctl/Tdie has been explained several times on this forum too. (C) CPU temperature under the SIO/mainboard sensor doesn't always to be equal to Tdie. It depends on how the manufacturer has chosen this sensor - whether it reads data from CPU (internal) or it has a dedicated sensor in the/close to the CPU socket.
Q2: CPU package power (SMU) is the internally total CPU power calculated by the CPU. This value should be closest to the total CPU power and it's also used internally by the CPU for its own telemetry/power management.
Q3: GPU Chip power should be the closest value to total GPU chip power, but this might depend on particular GPU.

Q3: GPU Chip power should be the closest value to total GPU chip power, but this might depend on particular GPU.

Thanks. For some reason, on my computer, it seems GPU Core > GPU Chip. The maximum values I am seeing right now are 37W and 29W respectively.

Q1:
A=C its the same. For more on the temps read the post from the link. Your CPU cooling solution is regulated by A (Tctl = control). You should read all posts in link or go for #13 and after.

Thanks. The post seems very long, and I just wanted to know which value I should consider for cooling, so I will just take A.

Both A and B temps are as real they can be and report different things/areas of the CPU. Each on their own have some value but yes with the A alone you can’t miss it.

It’s up to you... the... how much you want to get to know your hardware and how much you really want to know certain things.

Back