Startup scan makes A2 memory slot to bug on RAM RGB

RyQril

Hey guys,
Build a new system (13900KF, Asus Strix z790-H, Kingston Fury Beast 2x32 6000mt) everything went fine until i noticed that when starting HWiNFO, on startup loading sensors, randomly the memory slot A2 specifically, glitch out on RGB RAM stick to stuck. The default RGB is rainbow effect, B2 slot ram continue to function fine on RGB, but A2 gets the RGB freeze.

The workaround i found is to close HWiNFO and re run it multiple times to reset RGB on the RAM stick.

HWiNFO not running > the issue not occurring.
No RGB controller SW installed.
Fresh installed Win11.
Default BIOS settings, i even tried XMP profiles on and off but leads to the same issue.
Switched my RAM sticks to make sure it was not a faulty RAM stick, but happened anyway.
I figured maybe a motherboard faulty, so i checked the motherboard circuits/capacitors/CPU socket pins, all seemed fine.
On latest official BIOS v0904 and tried Beta bios v1103, same issue.

I just want to know if any of my hardware is faulty so i can RMA or at least identify a faulty component, or just the HWiNFO causing any of the Motherboard sensors to bug.

This would be a quite strange issue given your statement that no RGB controlling software is running.
Do other tools like CPU-Z, AIDA64 or ThaiphoonBurner cause similar issues?

Hello Martin! Thank you for your reply,

This would be a quite strange issue given your statement that no RGB controlling software is running.

Yea and i made sure of it by a fresh install, and nothing installed, just the main drivers (GPU, external audio device typeC, chipset, IME, networking stuff).

Do other tools like CPU-Z, AIDA64 or ThaiphoonBurner cause similar issues?

They do not, just ran them spamming open and close many times did not trigger the issue, but after that i opened HWiNFO it immediately triggered on the first run.

I tried multiple versions from latest current beta to v7.40. I noticed that v7.40 triggers the issue less than the new releases.

I don't know how i can send you logs. Is this an EC sensor issue?

EDIT: sorry did not mention that turning off EC support and not to monitor this sensor from the warning screen, did not help.

Thanks for the feedback and additional info.
Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can analyze this in more detail.

Debug file attached. Thank you, hope we know what is the cause.
let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see anything suspicious there.
Please try to disable SMBus Support in HWiNFO just to check if that's causing the issue.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see anything suspicious there.
Shoot, that DBG file when it triggered the RGB.

Please try to disable SMBus Support in HWiNFO just to check if that's causing the issue.
That actually worked! re ran it multiple times and the RGB did not break. Maybe my RAM kit not fully supported?

Should i be always disabling the SMBus? Or not that important? I don't know what it supposed to be

Thank you so much for the support!

Disabling the entire SMBus Support is not the final solution I'm aiming for as that will make several other features and sensors disappear. This was just to narrow-down the problem.
Now let's continue with an even narrower test :) Enable SMBus Support again and in the SMBus Device Exclusion block tick the box belonging to address 61.
It should look like this:

1685028252433.png

Please let me know the result - if it works now too.

Last edited:
Yes! How on earth did you pin point that out, lol. Genius!

That did the trick, made sure of it by restarting many times with it ticked and unticked.

Great, I'm happy that I found the problem :)
Now I need to implement a permanent fix for this issue so that users won't need to manually do this "trick". Shall be available in the next (Beta) build.

Just wanted to come here to say also that I've noticed Hwinfo freezing my RAM stick RGB on one of them - 64GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB. Only started messing around with things cause I wanted to make sure a memory stick wasn't dying on me. Don't care too much otherwise. The spectrum cycle was frozen on one but fine on another. It stuck on a single color. Hope that helps with debugging. Had to restart HWinfo 3 times. I didn't notice this before I set it to start with windows, though.

Just wanted to come here to say also that I've noticed Hwinfo freezing my RAM stick RGB on one of them - 64GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB. Only started messing around with things cause I wanted to make sure a memory stick wasn't dying on me. Don't care too much otherwise. The spectrum cycle was frozen on one but fine on another. It stuck on a single color. Hope that helps with debugging. Had to restart HWinfo 3 times. I didn't notice this before I set it to start with windows, though.

Which mainboard do you have? Did the solution posted in this thread help?

Which mainboard do you have? Did the solution posted in this thread help?
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5, the wifi model. The workaround did seem to work, yeah. I restarted hwinfo 5 times and the issue didn't come back. Seems like both of us have a similar setup. Kingston fury beast rgb and an ASUS z790. I have the 13900k though, not kf

I think our sticks freeze in the same RAM slot, but I didn't check which slot it's on.

Edit - double checked and my freezing stick is in the A2 slot as well

ASUS Prime Z790-P D5, the wifi model. The workaround did seem to work, yeah. I restarted hwinfo 5 times and the issue didn't come back. Seems like both of us have a similar setup. Kingston fury beast rgb and an ASUS z790. I have the 13900k though, not kf

Hmm, interesting.. I'm wondering whether this is a matter of mainboard (you both have ASUS Z790) or the Memory Module.
Could you please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File?

Hmm, interesting.. I'm wondering whether this is a matter of mainboard (you both have ASUS Z790) or the Memory Module.
Could you please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File?
Haven't been able to get the issue to reproduce even after turning off the smbus fix you posted above. Is the debug still helpful even without the issue being reproduced?

Haven't been able to get the issue to reproduce even after turning off the smbus fix you posted above. Is the debug still helpful even without the issue being reproduced?

Yes, I still need the Debug File to come up with a more reliable fix. Please make sure that that SMBus Support is enabled when you create it as I need the DIMM data.

Yes, I still need the Debug File to come up with a more reliable fix. Please make sure that that SMBus Support is enabled when you create it as I need the DIMM data.
Apologies for the delay, yesterday was busy. Attached. The .dbg is too big to attached, though. Bonus - I got the issue to come back eventually

Attachments

• DEBUG.HTM
    233.7 KB · Views: 1
Back