System Freezes upon activating Sensors (Or starting Sensors Only)

ishigori

I've tried the latest version and the beta, both of which didn't seem to like my computer very much. When I press the yellow lightning button (for Sensors), the scan freezes my computer, any sound that it made is repeated to no end until I have to manually turn it off.

The weird thing is when I decide to run it in debug mode, the analysis the program makes is much slower but it doesn't crash (pressing the yellow lightning button results in a page with a long list of items including CPU and GPU).

I've included the Debug but it may not be of much help since the actual crash didn't happen in debug.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    385.2 KB · Views: 4
You're right, it's a bit strange that in Debug Mode it works and it probably won't help me much to determine what might be the cause.
But I'll analyze the file and think about what could be done.
If you run it in normal mode (non-debug), can you see at which Sensor item checking it freezes ?
Meanwhile you might also try to disable the following items in Configure screen to see if that helps maybe:
- GPU I2C Support
- SW SMI

Martin said:
You're right, it's a bit strange that in Debug Mode it works and it probably won't help me much to determine what might be the cause.
But I'll analyze the file and think about what could be done.
If you run it in normal mode (non-debug), can you see at which Sensor item checking it freezes ?
Meanwhile you might also try to disable the following items in Configure screen to see if that helps maybe:
- GPU I2C Support
- SW SMI

Martin, after doing as you have just suggested, my program does not crash anymore. I plan to re-enable them and check where it freezes up after this but thanks for the temporary solution.

Alright, when I tried scanning this timearound with original settings, the box came up like this:

"Detecting sensors...

Fintek #5"

I've seen other names listed where it has been stuck but I have to run off to class now, I had to reboot my laptop again to type this since it was frozen.

Hope that helps!

OK. Please let me know which of those settings fixed this problem or if you find anything more...

Martin said:
OK. Please let me know which of those settings fixed this problem or if you find anything more...

Martin,

It turned out that the SW SMI is the one giving me problems (I unchecked it and left the GPU Support on, and it was able to successfully run.

Is this in anyway meaningful in terms of how severe this issue is?

Thanks again and sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

On DELL systems, HWiNFO uses certain undocumented functions to access proprietary sensors (the "DELL EC" sensor reported by HWiNFO).
While on the majority of systems, these functions work flawless, on some others this can cause problems. The exact reason of this is not know to me yet, but I suppose this might be caused by improper BIOS implementation (BIOS SMI handler not implemented properly or causing too large latency), or interaction with other system components/software.
So my suggestion is to leave the "SW SMI" option disabled on your system.

Ah I see, I think I know the problem then; I recently updated my BIOS to a custom that overvolt's my GPU, resulting in perhaps this dilemma. Not to mention it is also a Dell so you are right on the dot there, thanks for all the assistance again Martin.

Back