USB 3.0 detection?

brotman

Can HWinfo distinguish between types of USB ports? Specifically, can I use it to determine whether I have any USB3.0 Ports??

Thanks,
Chuck

Yes, the USB Host Controller should include in its description whether it is a 3.0 (xHCI) one. EHCI controllers are USB 2.0.

Martin said:
Yes, the USB Host Controller should include in its description whether it is a 3.0 (xHCI) one. EHCI controllers are USB 2.0.

Martin,

I will be darned if I can find any info anywhere on this subject in your panes. I have both USB 2 & 3 and wondered why I didn't see any info on them, now I find out I should be???? o_O :(

Can you tell me/show me where I should see it?

Crysta

Crysta, please walk thru the PCI device tree and under USB host controllers (the name of each controller should tell you USB version supported). There you can find their devices enumerated as well. Also, each device displays the supported/current version running.

Martin said:
Crysta, please walk thru the PCI device tree and under USB host controllers (the name of each controller should tell you USB version supported). There you can find their devices enumerated as well. Also, each device displays the supported/current version running.

o_O :) Thanks Martin, I just wasn't thinking of the trees area. I am there so infrequently. :) I saw the EHCI, USB 2,0, USB 3.0 but couldn't spot xHCI. Doesn't mean it is not there I just couldn't spot it, so much stuff packed in there. :D

Crysta

Not all USB Host Controller names necessary contain the "xHCI" string :) but they should at least contain the "USB 3.0" one... I'll check my database. Can you tell me which particular do you have, so I don't need to seach that much? ;)

Martin said:
Not all USB Host Controller names necessary contain the "xHCI" string :) but they should at least contain the "USB 3.0" one... I'll check my database. Can you tell me which particular do you have, so I don't need to seach that much? ;)

:D Hi Martin,

I am using your new Beta tonight. I am not sure exactly what your looking for, so I made you a picture, I didn't count the words :p I hope your software is telling us everything that is knowable :)

By the way, I did find the "xHCI" tonight, maybe I was to tired last night, but I was see the USB version?

One thing, maybe I am not reading your picture right so I will expound. I have 2 external LOGIIX Hubs, both have 4 Ports, one is USB 2.0 , the other is USB 3.0. It looks to me like the USB 2.0 Hub has 8 Ports???

Hope this helps Martin,

Crysta

PS. Martin, I can't add an attachment, I keep getting a 404 error. Here is a link instead:

I have had a terrible time with this on the site. I have this in a draft and when I try to post it I get a 404 error too. :(( Using Chrome.

I think I can explain the xHCI mystery ;) Yesterday just before the new beta release I walked thru all USB 3.0 controllers in my database and for those which didn't contain the xHCI string, I added it ;)
I think your both external hubs are enumerated under the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 Host (Root Hub and then 2x USB Hub). The another 8-port USB hub you see is the internal one in the chipset (H67).

OMG Martin, Now that I finally got it through ONCE SUCCESSFULLY, I am seeing three???? I am still now seeing them in the list at the bottom. I am going to leave them so you can see for yourself. Delete 2 of them and this one at your will ..... :(

Crysta

You're right, there seems to be a problem with attachments on the forum. I'll check that...

Martin said:
You're right, there seems to be a problem with attachments on the forum. I'll check that...

I still can't see my post with the link in it to call it up, now. You obviously can because you replied to it. Don't know what is going on????? Very frustrating but if you need testing, I will do some tomorrow. Going to bed now :D Night

Back