Version 7.35-4950 Incorrect GPU Memory Usage

Capticetrice

HWiNFO64 v7.35 does not give correct video ram usage for RD 7900 XT compared to the AMD Adrenaline and MSI Afterburner.
(All XTX's was sold out and my old 2070s died on Christmas eve, please don't poor shame me :D )
No overclocks have been used or setup, I played some Cyberpunk for benchmarking (My current "But can it run Crysis?") , Steelrising, Elden Ring, Tokyo Ghostwire, Deathloop, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 8 Village and ultra modded Skyrim SE (uses up to 6.4gb of vram).
I am not even sure what to call this bug? How I managed to pull 42GB of memory usage out of a 20GB card would be insane if it was true.
I had to use the Beta version of HWiNFO as it is the only version that will display the GPU where v7.34 current release will not detect the 7900 card at all, even with AMD compatibility settings on.
Anyways that's all I got, I don't know what to add to this but hope it could at least be something to be looked into and addressed.

1672923521280.png

"GPU Memory Usage" value is provided by the GPU driver and it's often buggy. Don't blame me for that, it's AMD's problem.
So you should rather rely on the "GPU D3D Memory Dedicated" value which seems to match both AMD Software and MSI AB.

I have found that CPU-Z 2.52.0 and AMD Adrenaline 23.3.1 (both updated) are reporting the same VRAM Util (1250MB) - see attached - but hwinfo is reporting 5,524MB with the sensor "GPU Memory Usage". If AMD is the problem, how does GPU-Z agree with it, but hwinfo doesn't?

Attachments

• GPU Memory Usage Error.png
    GPU Memory Usage Error.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 9
I have found that CPU-Z 2.52.0 and AMD Adrenaline 23.3.1 (both updated) are reporting the same VRAM Util (1250MB) - see attached - but hwinfo is reporting 5,524MB with the sensor "GPU Memory Usage". If AMD is the problem, how does GPU-Z agree with it, but hwinfo doesn't?

What "GPU D3D Memory Dedicated" does HWiNFO report, is that in match with the others?

I don't see "GPU D3D Memory Dedicated" in HWiNFO, only Usage and utilization both which are in %. Total VRam is 8192MB (GPU is RX6650XT). I have attached a pic with all the sensors. I'm new at this so maybe the sensor has a different name and I just don't know it.

Attachments

• GPU Memory Usage Error2.png
    GPU Memory Usage Error2.png
    364 KB · Views: 10
You have hidden 196 sensor items (see the window title), it must be among those.

Back