video playback stutter when hwinfo is running

I had to switch to a backup machine due to a hardware problem this week and on the "new" machine whenever I played back video I noticed a repeating stutter in the video.
This happens when playing from a local video file or when streaming youtube.
Because it is a different motherboard, (although I moved my gpu, soundcard, and other hardware) I had to install different drivers and reinstall hwinfo64.
In an attempt to debug the video issue I looked at the background processes and services and removed some that I didn't actually need.
When I restarted the issue seemed to be resolved until I loaded hwinfo64.
The stutter was back. In fact it appears to repeat as the polling happens in hwinfo64.
Have I inadvertently set something wrong (or forgotten to set something)?
Thanks in advance for assistance with this issue.

Try to disable monitoring of some sensors (hit the Del key over its heading) to see which one is causing it. I'd start with the EC (if present), SMART or GPU sensor.

Martin, I have isolated a stutter like reported by op to a specific drive, SAMSUNG HD502HJ

Are you aware of any issues with this drive, apart from its unusual raw data formats, the same issues do not manifest with aida64.

I'm not aware of any particular issues, but suspect that polling of the ATA Statistics might be causing that (even though it shouldn't). You might try to keep SMART enabled and disable "ATA Statistics Support" in HWiNFO to see if that helps.

I'm not aware of any particular issues, but suspect that polling of the ATA Statistics might be causing that (even though it shouldn't). You might try to keep SMART enabled and disable "ATA Statistics Support" in HWiNFO to see if that helps.

I disabled all those before landing on the particular drive and its smart data being to blame, this and the pulsating hum i'm ready to clone to a new set of drives and be done with this wacky samsung nonsense.

Its one of the few HDD's i've had that records host writes, gsense errors, and temperature as a massive number.

1620903367667.png

Most of the SMART data has never been standardized, so vendors use their own formats and meanings of almost each attribute. Such high numbers usually don't mean an issue, but a custom format that needs to be properly converted for a particular vendor/drive. This is a tedious work. For example the temperature value shown above when converted to hex gives 0x330012001F, so that single number encodes multiple values (current=31, min=18, max=51).
ATA Statistics on the other hand was well standardized, but several vendors have issues implementing this properly or the firmware does excessive work when being queried for it.

Back