Windows 10 Crash

Aluin13

Hi all, 

I recently made the switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had been using Rainmeter with another plugin (Open Hardware Monitor) to monitor various measures from my machine. I made the switch to the HWiNFO plugin as my previous plugin no longer worked with Windows 10.

My issue is that every morning when I go to wake my computer it is complete frozen and I have to do a hard reset. I tracked the issue down to either HWiNFO or it's corresponding Rainmeter plugin (when I disable HWiNFO and any skins that use it I don't have the issue). Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution? Please let me know if there's any info I can provide to help troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but I don't see any issue there. What's more strange is that I don't even see the Suspend/Resume sequence performed. have you performed it? Also please check if the "Debug Write Direct" option is enabled in HWiNFO.
Is it possible that this problem is not caused by HWiNFO - does it happen also if you close HWiNFO before going to sleep?

I may have given some bad information in my initial post. The crash occurs when I leave my computer idle for a long period of time (e.g., overnight). During this time, the monitors turn off but the computer doesn't actually go into sleep mode (I was incorrect about this in my initial post). In the morning, when I try to rouse my computer by wiggling the mouse or pressing a key, nothing happens. Further, the machine isn't reachable from the network.

I noticed today that, when I became aware that my computer had crashed, I was able to toggle the Num Lock feature on my keyboard. Normally, if the computer is frozen that won't work. It seems more likely that, rather than completely freezing, only some features stop working (e.g., video, network). You may be correct in that the problem is not caused by HWiNFO, but so far I can only get it to happen when HWiNFO is running. It sure would be nice if the issue was easier to reproduce.

It looks like I'll need to do further investigation. I'll report any findings whether or not they are related to HWiNFO.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have any new findings. Currently I don't know where/how to search for the problem and I'm not even sure whether it's HWiNFO that's causing it.

So after a few weeks of testing, it looks like HWiNFO is not causing the crash. I was able to reproduce the issue once without HWiNFO running.

Sorry for the late reply. The lockups happen so sporadically that it was difficult to track. As a matter of fact, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is causing it.

In any case, thanks very much for the help!

If your computer updated from Windows 7 or 8.1, that might be the root cause. I've noticed that only a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10 will work like it should, at least as far as updates go. Or you can try to reset the password and use a new user account for login.

I just had this myself. Very odd behaviour from my Asus laptop after installing Rainmeter/HWinfo. System shut downs with inability to hard reset. Machine seems to come back to life after leaving it for a while. Then sd card loses mount. Windows 10 again locked up with screen graphics corruption. I'll have to remove Hwinfo Rainmeter plugin until this gets sorted out. I'm sorry I can't produce a debug report at the moment because its a production machine and I can't have it out of action for long periods.

Windows 10 hybrid Laptop T100F. Latest Hwinfo plugin.

EDIT: Think I know what this is. I just had the same behaviour (after preventing load of Hwinfo Rainmeter DLL) with MSI Afterburner. It appears to be Intel's GPU on this laptop model that can't cope with anything probing it and it just freaks out  :mad:

Michael Z Freeman said:
I just had this myself. Very odd behaviour from my Asus laptop after installing Rainmeter/HWinfo. System shut downs with inability to hard reset. Machine seems to come back to life after leaving it for a while. Then sd card loses mount. Windows 10 again locked up with screen graphics corruption. I'll have to remove Hwinfo Rainmeter plugin until this gets sorted out. I'm sorry I can't produce a debug report at the moment because its a production machine and I can't have it out of action for long periods.

EDIT: Think I know what this is. I just had the same behaviour (after preventing load of Hwinfo Rainmeter DLL) with MSI Afterburner. It appears to be Intel's GPU on this laptop model that can't cope with anything probing it and it just freaks out  :mad:

Interesting.. haven't seen such problem yet..

EDIT/UPDATE: Apologies for any confusion. Rainmeter and hwinfo now running OK. I think I know what happened. I missed a step or something on installation and was running an old Hwinfo DLL (from the custom skin see below) that was then causing some huge conflict. I completely reinstalled and the problems has gone away.

So my original intent was to use the below Rainmeter skin to show sensor readings from another machine over the network. I got the skin showing readings from the local machine, but when I set "HWiNFOSensorId, HWiNFOSensorInstance, HWiNFOEntryId" for the remote sensor nothing showed. Of course I just needed "HWiNFOHostId" and now it works :)

---- OLD BELOW HERE ----

Disabled the Hwinfo Rainmeter DLL's from loading. 

I noticed that AFTER I had the problem I also tried MSI Afterburner which caused even more serious problems including the machine not booting. I went into safe mode and removed it.

Found some posts about the "Intel HD Graphics" GPU which is a GPU integrated into the Intel® Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3735 chip in my laptop. It is NOT recommended for overclocking with MSI Afterburner. But it's a mystery to WHY the Hwinfo DLL for Rainmeter would cause any similar problems. All it's doing (right?) is accessing the shared memory from Hwinfo. Hwinfo itself does NOT cause any of the aformentioned problems even though it's probing and shows the Intel GPU.

Would really like to use this skin to display sensors coming over the network.

dashboard_1_8_by_osricwuscfrea-d7c4m0w.jpg

Could the DLL be conflicting with other shared memory locations in some way ?

I'm tempted to try again as it all could have been some kind of fluke, but dread messing the laptop up.

I don't think that any Rainmeter component could cause such problems, it doesn't access the hardware on lower level.
The only explanation would be some very rare coincidence with graphics output by Rainmeter, the HD Graphics driver and a monitoring tool.

Martin said:
I don't think that any Rainmeter component could cause such problems, it doesn't access the hardware on lower level.
The only explanation would be some very rare coincidence with graphics output by Rainmeter, the HD Graphics driver and a monitoring tool.

Thanks. Please see updated post above.

menespac said:
If your computer updated from Windows 7 or 8.1, that might be the root cause. I've noticed that only a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10 will work like it should, at least as far as updates go. Or you can try to reset the password and use a new user account for login.
This solution that i have been looking for , i forget admin password has a very long time , i wonder if i can recover it back , maybe i need to created a new password on Windows 10, isn't it ?

If your computer is complete frozen and you unable to access computer , using the super administrator account to unlock Windows 10 password, at the same time , you can created a new password for Windows 10 and login computer with the new password.

Michael Z Freeman said:
https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/unlock-windows-10-8-without-password.html

Too many victims, i directly reinstall Windows 10 , i'm not sure i'll be able to update Windows 10 from windrow7 , after all, I've failed many times

Back