840 EVO 1TB warning/failure

james41382

Hello, I have a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD and HWiNFO is reporting warning/failure under S.M.A.R.T. in sensors; however, everything appears with green check marks in main.

Attachments

• 840 EVO 1TB SMART (2).JPG
    840 EVO 1TB SMART (2).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 840 EVO 1TB SMART (1).JPG
    840 EVO 1TB SMART (1).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 5
This seems to be some occasional erratum because the failure would need to be 'sticky' and appear always, but instead it's only captured as the 'max' value.
How often does this happen, every time when you start HWiNFO, or after a while ? You might try to double-click to show a graph for that value to see whether there are some spikes, or enable sensors logging to see when exactly it happens.
Please let me know the results...

Martin said:
This seems to be some occasional erratum because the failure would need to be 'sticky' and appear always, but instead it's only captured as the 'max' value.
How often does this happen, every time when you start HWiNFO, or after a while ? You might try to double-click to show a graph for that value to see whether there are some spikes, or enable sensors logging to see when exactly it happens.
Please let me know the results...
The min remaining drive life is 1.0% and the average is 100.0% so I can conclude that the length of time which the failure occurs is very small, I have enabled the graphs regardless. It's worth noting that the SSD is connected to the board, X99-A/USB 3.1 and the chipset is in RAID mode. I believe it's recommended to use the drive in AHCI mode, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the situation.

The failure is reported probably due to the 1% remaining life reported by drive which seems to occur occasionally.
My original idea was that this is a read-out problem. But then I noticed that the "[B3] Used Reserved Block Count (Total)" parameter which can be used as an indicator of drive health reported actual value of 100 (which seems OK), but the worst measured value is just 1 (Worst: 1). So I think this is either a problem of the drive's firmware which doesn't properly monitor and report the status, or the drive is really occasionally having serious problems.

Martin said:
The failure is reported probably due to the 1% remaining life reported by drive which seems to occur occasionally.
My original idea was that this is a read-out problem. But then I noticed that the "[B3] Used Reserved Block Count (Total)" parameter which can be used as an indicator of drive health reported actual value of 100 (which seems OK), but the worst measured value is just 1 (Worst: 1). So I think this is either a problem of the drive's firmware which doesn't properly monitor and report the status, or the drive is really occasionally having serious problems.

Yes, I see the value you are talking about. I still wonder if it has something to do with the drive being in RAID vs. AHCI. I know that I'm not able to use Samsung Magician when the drive is in RAID mode. The program won't even detect the drive so I can't update the firmware. My old platform was either RAID or AHCI for all drives, which is why I installed Windows in RAID mode even though the SSD was not part of the array. At some point I'm going to move it to AHCI so perhaps that will correct the issue. Thanks for all the help!

I'm not sure whether switching to AHCI mode might solve such problem, maybe a firmware update might help...

I'm not sure either, but we're going to find out! I did a little reading and figured out how to switch the drive to AHCI. It was actually quite easy. The 840 EVO is now on AHCI instead of RAID. I fired up Samsung Magician and checked the firmware version, which was already the latest. So we'll see if the error comes up again or not. I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a 950 Pro NVMe 500GB to replace the 840 EVO anyway.

So the code appeared again today. I guess I need to reach out to Samsung and see if they'll replace the drive. The Magician software shows the drive is in good health so we'll see what happens.

Just wanted to wrap this up. I spoke with Samsung yesterday and they said they will either repair or replace the drive based on the 1 value for B3 reported by HWiNFO. Please mark this solved. Thank you.

Back