After upgrading to Win8.1 can't get hwinfo to work

Hello,

Recently upgraded to Windows 8.1.
All works fine. Except hwinfo64.
Other monitoring software do work(hwmonitor, aida..)

I am kinda stuck here.

When I open hwinfo, while it loads the sensors I get a nice BSOD.
My system seems to te stable, made 10 runs of IBT-avx on very high without a problem.

No crashes or errors whatsoever besides the hwinfo thingy.

I hope to solve this problem because I really do like your program.

Please submit the HWiNFO Debug File from the crash, so I can inspect it and provide guidance.

Martin said:
Please submit the HWiNFO Debug File from the crash, so I can inspect it and provide guidance.

I can't.
When the sensors load the whole system crashes. Windows says to make a dump but also stays at 0% so I have to hard-reset the system.

Any indeas what to try?
Already re-installed hwinfo.

I can't do that...
The problem is the program crashes on startup. So I cannot even get into the settings.

System locks with either normal start, summary only or sensors only.

I managed to enable debugging by editing the .ini file.
Somehow when I then tried to open the program, sensors-only, it worked but took pretty long to load all sensors(30+ sec.)
So I closed it and tried it again. That gave me a brief BSOD followed by a black screen. Had to shut down by holding the power-button(reset didn't work).

I uploaded the debug file here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=83485653619603044454

Thanks. According to the data, there seems to be an issue reading additional GPU sensors.
There are the following options to fix this:
- You can disable the entire "GPU I2C Support", that should fix it. But HWiNFO will not be able to detect additional GPU sensors if there are any.
- You might try to enable the "GPU I2C via ADL" option to see if that helps.
- You might just try to disable the bus #6 in the "GPU I2C Exclusion" list but checking the button for number 6.

Can you give me some more info on how to do that when editing through the .ini file.

I see the GPUI2CBusExclude=00000000 entry. Which value do I set? Just 6?

And when I try GPU I2C ADL I just put GPUI2CADL=1? While still having GPUI2C=1 also

Thanks for the info already.
I do hope to fix it. Because the real advantage of hwinfo64 I use IS the gpu monitoring.

To disable entire GPU I2C support use:
GPUI2C=0

For excluding the bus #6, you should use:
GPUI2CBusExclude=00000010

For I2C via ADL use:
GPUI2CADL=1

Excluding bus does #6 fixes it.
Sadly that disabled monitoring the vrm sensors.

Do you have any idea why I have to disable them?
I don't get it... when I was using Windows 7 I had no problem with hwinfo64, plus the sensor readings were loaded 10 times faster(which isn't a big problem, but still).

I don't know if it is related, but I noticed that when I use msi Afterburner to monitor the sensors it doesn't show the vrm's either.
But using gpu-z they do show.

I really would like to use the OSD option in hwinfo64 to display all gpu data in game.

On second note, I did install hwinfo64 on the SSD this time. I doubt that would make a difference?

Well, I'm not sure exactly why it crashes, but it obviously does it while trying to read the GPU VRMs. I think the difference might be because of different AMD Catalyst drivers used.
To speed-up the scan you might disable the other GPU I2C buses.
Instead of disabling bus #6 you might try to use I2C via ADL if that maybe works and will successfully access the VRMs.

Back