Alienware 17 R5 - Can't Create Custom Fan Control

Hi!

I have the Alienware 17 R5 with the 8750h and GTX 1070.

I am able to control the fans using HWinfo only if I disable EC Support in the settings.

However, I can only set three values 0, 1800, or 4200 rpm.

Is there a way to set custom RPM's (e.g. 2700)?

I have attached a screenshot of what I see.

Thank you!

- Stephan

This will need to be checked. First please attach the HWiNFO Debug File for initial analysis.

Sorry, I don't see anything attached.
If you attach a file make also sure to include/embed it into the post.

Hi all!
I have the Alienware M17 with the 8750h and GeForce RTX 2070.
No fan sensors detected.
I attached report and debug file.
Thanks.

Attachments

• AlienwareM17.HTM
    186.4 KB · Views: 2
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
New files has been added, Alienware M17. Intel Core i7-8750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (TU106M) [DELL].
Thanks.

Attachments

• alienwareM17.HTM
    186.3 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I'm sorry, but this seems to be a new design for which the previous advanced fan speed control methods won't work.
Currently on this model you can use only the limited (DELL) fan control mode if you disable "EC Support" in HWiNFO. This will allow you to set only 3 levels.

Martin said:
I'm sorry, but this seems to be a new design for which the previous advanced fan speed control methods won't work.
Currently on this model you can use only the limited (DELL) fan control mode if you disable "EC Support" in HWiNFO. This will allow you to set only 3 levels.

Is it a matter of DELL limiting their fan control or is it that it takes specific testing from HWinfo to allow full fan control for the AW 17 R5?

Thanks! 

- Stephan

It's great that I can set the fans down at idle with the 3 different options but it would be REALLY AMAZING if it were possible to have full fan control (e.g. 100 RPM increments).

Would you please be kind enough to check if something like this were possible for the Alienware 17 R5 (GTX 1070 and 8750h)?

Thank you very much for your hard work!

- Stephan

stevengon116 said:
Martin said:

Is it a matter of DELL limiting their fan control or is it that it takes specific testing from HWinfo to allow full fan control for the AW 17 R5?

Thanks! 

- Stephan

Controlling fans on laptops is a proprietary thing, one can say it's something semi-secret.
While almost all previous Alienware models were manufactured by the same (ODM), fan control methods there were quite similar and I already had experience with that.
But the new m17 model seems to be different and I have no information how to control fans there (yet).
Note that was a response to m17 (user gulics). Yours is probably a different model.

Controlling fans on laptops is a proprietary thing, one can say it's something semi-secret.
While almost all previous Alienware models were manufactured by the same (ODM), fan control methods there were quite similar and I already had experience with that.
But the new m17 model seems to be different and I have no information how to control fans there (yet).
Note that was a response to m17 (user gulics). Yours is probably a different model.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Martin,

It's great that I can set the fans down at idle with the 3 different options but it would be REALLY AMAZING if it were possible to have full fan control (e.g. 100 RPM increments).

Would you please be kind enough to check if something like this were possible for the Alienware 17 R5 (GTX 1070 and 8750h)?

- Stephan

stevengon116 said:
Hi Martin,

- Stephan

I wanted to check it for your model and asked you (above) for another Debug File, this time with "EC Support" enabled in HWiNFO.

Martin said:
stevengon116 said:
Hi Martin,

- Stephan

I wanted to check it for your model and asked you (above) for another Debug File, this time with "EC Support" enabled in HWiNFO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I see. Sorry about that.

Are you able to see it?

Please let me know if I did it correctly.

- Stephan

stevengon116 said:
Martin said:
stevengon116 said:
Hi Martin,

- Stephan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I see. Sorry about that.

Are you able to see it?

Please let me know if I did it correctly.

- Stephan

--------------

I can't seem to get the attachments working correctly.

Is there any other way I could send the file to you (e.g. via email)?

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.  

- Stephan

Sure, you can send it via e-mail. My address is in the welcome screen of HWiNFO or at the bottom of web site.

Back