ALWAYS forgetting window position

driver505

Hi, searched through your forum, didn't find much other than mess around with the "Validate Windows position" or we've "fixed" this with a new version, so I registered just to ask..
I always thought it was just some funkiness I'd have to deal with because I've always used dual monitors, but I was wrong...

I switched to a single monitor recently and reinstalled windows and this is still happening!
I keep the window clipped to the right side of screen, but every other restart it will load to a random position, and sometimes it will even get stuck in the taskbar completely minimised to the point I have to use SHIFT + RIGHT CLICK + MAXIMISE just to get it to pop out the taskbar.

thanks for any help

Try to ordinary close HWiNFO after setting the desired position. Then each reboot should restore the position.

Try to ordinary close HWiNFO after setting the desired position. Then each reboot should restore the position.
thanks but I've been doing that these past 2 years, place back in corner then Save settings and Close... restart HWinfo and it's back in the corner where it's supposed to be....
Until a reboot or 2 later, then it has a mind of it's own again

No known issues unless you use something else to manage windows positions.

thank you I will try that and report back in a day or 2...
So ok here's an example of what I've been dealing with for 2 years now, turned off my PC earlier window was placed perfectly aligned on right side, turned off PC came back a few hours and this is what I find.

Untitled.jpg

One idea.. Try to add some startup delay for the HWiNFO task in Windows Task Scheduler.
Ok, so day 1 of doing this and the window retained position this morning when I started up my PC.... will keep an eye over next few days hoping this sticks!

Following this thread. One of my systems has 5 displays. For me, the HIWINFO main Sensor Status panel opens maximized where I left it but 3 graphs and the HWINFO update alert pop-up still sometimes end up on the wrong display. I have disabled Validate Windows Positions which seemed to work for a while but lately, it's been launching the 3 graphs to other displays again. OP please do post how much start-up delay you added. Thanks!

I tried a 5-10 second delay and it didn't work, it's moving around again.
But I noticed 2 things this morning, first the Validate Window Position has checked itself back on, and the other is the Scaling was reset which it shouldn't as I have Hwinfo set to Overide Application scaling.

Is it possible Windows is doing this ? it's known to have Scaling problems going back to Win 10

It's possible that Windows uses custom settings for HWiNFO.
Right-click the HWiNFO executable - Properties - Compatibility. Check there if it's not set to run with some custom or compatibility settings.

Same issues here. When you start windows windows positions are right, but they are wrong display. (I have two displays). I keep HWinfo on my second screen, but every startup they come center my first display. Quite annoying, because everytime need to drag every hwinfo window my seconds screen every startup.

This problem be same many versions, i think maybe that problem can be related two or more displays.

Last edited:
I think problem is that because other displays not start on windows login. And hwinfo starts on background and after you login to Windows. HwInfo is allready started to wrong display. Allready add program Windows Task Scheduler -> login and but delay 30seconds, not helping because hwinfo opens background before you click login.

Yes, I too think it's related to that start mode but it also seems this behavior changed in recent Windows builds.
I'm having a similar problem with several other applications as well and don't know how to solve that yet.

Just thinking if is possible do one "Button" down row on HWinfo main window. If you click that that arrange window layout thats way what you are saved? This is much easier then move all graps and main window every time to different display manually.

1701592572557.png

HWiNFO does that automatically during start but for some reason it doesn't work during automatic start with multiple monitors. So I'm not sure if this would help.
If you start HWiNFO manually, will the window positions be properly preserved always?
And during automatic start do those windows appear on correct positions, just on a different monitor?

HWiNFO does that automatically during start but for some reason it doesn't work during automatic start with multiple monitors. So I'm not sure if this would help.
If you start HWiNFO manually, will the window positions be properly preserved always?
And during automatic start do those windows appear on correct positions, just on a different monitor?

Yeah agree that if i start HWinfo manually, they go every time right position. And after automatic startup they go correct positions, but different monitor.

Program need to be started with delay after you log-in now seems program starts (delay starts) right a way when window login screen appears and if you not log-in inside that delay time whay you put windows scheduder other monitor is off that login screen and program open window layout wrong display because right monitor is turned off.

I think that works if find some way start program delayed starting after you log-in to windows.

That could explain it. When HWiNFO is starting and the monitor use to hold it isn't turned on (e.g. during logon), then with the "Validate Windows position" option enabled it would be placed on the currently active/primary monitor. Disabling the "Validate Windows position" option should help in this case. But it seems there was some change in Windows how monitors are starting during logon which might be retaining the window positions, just automatically reallocating then to a different monitor.
As I already said - I'm recently seeing this problem with several other applications - they start randomly on primary or secondary monitor and I'm unable to figure out why.

Back