ASUS Prime X470-Pro - Fan headers shutting down after a while when running HWiNFO

Just registered to say I started having this problem a couple of weeks ago for some reason, despite the fact I have had the Asus Prime x470-Pro for just over two years and used Hwinfo the whole time, I was on bios 5603 I believe when the issue arose, I updated to the latest 5809 and it hasn't fixed it.

I'll try to disable the two sensors mentioned and see if that resolves it.

Edit: Ok disabled WMI monitoring so in theory that should resolve the issue right?

1609138243854.png

Just had all my fans stop, first time in couple of years.
I have updated to 5809 and replaced 2600 with 5800x, also installed Ryzen Master. Looks like some of these are to blame.
i have Disabled ASUS WMI in HWInfo, will see how things go.

HWinfo v 6.34-4300

debug file

Attachments

• hwinfo64reporrt.txt
    185 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I am currently using HWiNFO v6.40-4330 and ASUS PRIME X470-PRO ( BIOS v5809 ).

When using AsusWMI, temperature and fan monitoring abnormal behavior appeared within 3 days, so I had to reboot.

It was the same in versions prior to v6.40.

However, after applying AsusWMI=0 to the INI file, no problem has occurred for 10 days.
This is the first time that no problem has occurred in more than 3 days.

If anything changes I'll let you know.

Last edited:

When using AsusWMI, temperature and fan monitoring abnormal behavior appeared within 3 days, so I had to reboot.
What processor do you use now? Did you use BIOS versions prior to 5809, i.e. 5603?

What processor do you use now? Did you use BIOS versions prior to 5809, i.e. 5603?
The CPU is 2700X and the previous BIOS used 5406, 5601, 5603.
I had a problem with these versions and used AsusWMI.

AsusWMI disabled was only used in BIOS 5809, not in previous versions.

Last edited:

odi03zqewxt

thanks for clarification, so it's not a new issue, it is the old one. BTW disabling AsusWMI will lead to using direct EC access in HWinfo that is even more problematic on the board. That gave me several sudden reboots in a few days.

It was the same in versions prior to v6.40.

However, after applying AsusWMI=0 to the INI file, no problem has occurred for 10 days.
This is the first time that no problem has occurred in more than 3 days.

If anything changes I'll let you know.
I'm currently testing and checking for any abnormalities.

After applying AsusWMI=0 to the INI file, no problem has occurred for about 2 weeks.
No sudden reboots, No BSOD, No freezing, No fan stop ...

If any abnormality is found, I will post on this thread.

I have an ASUS Prime X470-Pro, and my fans are misbehaving for the first time in over a year after upgrading to HWiNFO64 6.42-4360.

I'm using the same settings between versions and the version I upgraded from was 6.30-4240, and it was the only thing I've changed on my system.

I have just added AsusWMI=0 to the INI file, I'll test to see if this stops it. Otherwise I'll be reverting back to 6.30 to hopefully prevent the bad behavior again.

I really like the recent BIOS versions coming to this board, but the ITE IT8665E Super I/O chip (or ASUS's implementation of it) is clearly complete garbage, and some "engineer" along the line clearly didn't RTFM.

How do I fix this? Yesterday everything was working fine then I ran hwinfo and I was told there was update. I installed the update ran it. I was playing a game and realized 5/9 of my fans stopped spinning but rgb lights are still on. How do I revert what changed? I tried uninstalling hwinfo but the problem still exist...

Shutdown the system and remove power for a few seconds.
Thank you for your response, so I actually did that last night. I unplugged power cord even removed cmos battery. I connected everything this morning but it’s still the same...:/

Such a permanent change is not possible to have been caused by running some software in the past.
Assuming you no longer run HWiNFO, are you perhaps running some other tool?
I'd also suggest to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Such a permanent change is not possible to have been caused by running some software in the past.
Assuming you no longer run HWiNFO, are you perhaps running some other tool?
I'd also suggest to update the BIOS to the latest version.
I’ve recently updated my bios to the latest version.
Motherboard is asus b550-xe

I will have to check again when I get home what else I can do.

I did have amd Ryzen master running.

The B550 series should not be affected by the problem described in this thread. This must be something else, but I'm not sure what.
It would also be very unlikely that HWiNFO would cause such an issue.

I should note that in the past I 've been having siilar issues. It was due to AIDA64 utility. Even if you try running it once and then close it, you do have to cold boot your pc otherwise the problem occurs! I was starting my PC with both HWinfo and AIDA64, then was turning off AIDA64 and kept on with only Hwinfo. The fans where stopping becase I was not cold booting the machine! I thought it was Hwinfo but since the latest bios version for prime x370 pro (5603) and the latest hwinfo version with EC support disabled, I had no issues whatosoever.
I was also fooled once by a fan that happened to just fail! So, check all possible options and always COLD BOOT your machine!

There is no such version. There is 5603, released a year ago, and 5806, released in November 2020.

Now I have 5851 with 5900X, no fan problem.

There is no such version. There is 5603, released a year ago, and 5806, released in November 2020.

Now I have 5851 with 5900X, no fan problem.
I neglected to say that I have a PRIME X370-PRO... 5606 is the latest bios, while for PRIME X470-PRO the latest is 5854

I see... I guess Prime X370-Pro may not have the fix from Prime X470-Pro, neither do the other boards with the ITE controller.

Back