Beta 631_4255 crashes while detecting graphic card

Thank you Martin

My dGPU on my desktop PC draws only 8-10W when “used for non graphic-heavy usage scenarios” but when gaming can pass 200W. So what is the point of having an iGPU enabled (if I actually had one available)?
Dont you understand that having them both enabled is a waste of power? Power headroom that it is literally stolen from total CPU power package. Power deprived from CPU cores. Power that it is added to the CPU package and have it reach the limit earlier so the CPU cores have to slow down to preserve the whatever limit. Power that it is added to the CPU package cooler to dissipate.
Inefficient setup that is... and 5 or 10W on mobile devices matter.

So please, before calling anyone ignorant try first to be as sure as possible that you understand what one is saying or trying to say.

No offense taken! I’ve been there my self.
I’ve been writing and having conversations too many years on PC tech forums and I know by now that sharing ideas and knowledge with written language is a lot harder that anyone can imagine. Especially when you don’t do it on your mother language.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough about what I (or Victor) was trying to say.

I'm with you... and had my share of "discussions with techs in tech forums" as well :)
Point is - and this I tried to emphasis on - that it doesn't help to give advice on solutions that doesn't match the problem.
I described a software problem - and the advice was to disable a hardware component.
I pointed this out and was "lectured" on the "nonsense of having an iGPU" and "power headroom".
How does this address my problem?

The only "good answers" came from Martin who looked into the problem and found a bug from Intel, thanks for that, Martin!

To resolve the problem with oneAPI support in current Intel graphics drivers, here's a new build that adds a switch to enable support of oneAPI (default state is Disabled): www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi64_631_4257.zip
To make use of oneAPI (which allows providing more information about Intel GPUs) it is currently required to set the ZES_ENABLE_SYSMAN environment variable to 1.

Hi Martin,

it works well again :D
1600103179318.png

Thank you, Martin, great job!!!

Regards,
Dirk

I'm with you... and had my share of "discussions with techs in tech forums" as well :)
Point is - and this I tried to emphasis on - that it doesn't help to give advice on solutions that doesn't match the problem.
I described a software problem - and the advice was to disable a hardware component.
I pointed this out and was "lectured" on the "nonsense of having an iGPU" and "power headroom".
How does this address my problem?

The only "good answers" came from Martin who looked into the problem and found a bug from Intel, thanks for that, Martin!
I’m very sorry but still it seems that you only chose to read some of the words I‘m writing. This was certain a problem addressed strictly to Martin. He is the author of the software and probably the only person with such deep knowledge of it. It was obvious (so I thought) that I wasn’t giving any solution to this specific problem. I was giving a friendly advice and I thought I was emphasizing on this by starting my very first sentence by: Regardless of the oneAPI issue you should disable...”

I thought I chose my words carefully but now I see I wasn’t careful enough, and your were too focused and have a mindset on your problem that you wouldnt care for anything else as useful it may be. Looks like you only read.... blah blah blah and nothing else. No room in mind for anything else, and because you really read half of it you missed the entire idea of it.

In my honest opinion...
You could have fix your issue and set you CPU run better. This is tech forums... finding solutions to problems, discovering new things you wouldn’t know, gaining new perspective and so so many more all at once.

You only want to fix your issue and do not care for anything else? That I respect and who am I to say what your choices would or must be.

Regardless of the oneAPI issue, you should disable the iGPU on CPU especially on a laptop with a discrete GPU onboard.
What @VictorVG is saying is that iGPU “steals“ power headroom from the entire CPU package power limit. Giving to the actual CPU cores an extra 5-10W headroom that iGPU is drawing when enabled can make your CPU clock higher, run faster and maybe cooler.
VictorVG was only trying to make a point by giving you examples, and didn’t imply that you have those coolers and CPUs.

iGPUs are meant (IMHO) for systems lacking discrete GPUs. Using them when you have a discrete GPU on a laptop is like trying to cool a warm house or a car with an air conditioner set to cold with closed windows when outside is winter... It only draws power

FYI, many recent laptops can't actually work with iGPU disabled, as that's how they're designed - iGPU is used for displaying frames and dGPU for heavy tasks (well, in theory maybe you could disable iGPU, but it would take graphics drivers hacking and BIOS IRQs and who knows what modding...)
tried to disable it on my inspiron - no boot, black screen

FYI, many recent laptops can't actually work with iGPU disabled, as that's how they're designed - iGPU is used for displaying frames and dGPU for heavy tasks (well, in theory maybe you could disable iGPU, but it would take graphics drivers hacking and BIOS IRQs and who knows what modding...)
tried to disable it on my inspiron - no boot, black screen
Is this without the option of choosing what graphics device will start first?
If true, that is a shame (for laptop manufacturers, or/and Intel).

many options were hidden in its BIOS, but graphics card priority is not one of them - it doesn't exist at all, so yes

Back