Black Theme and Unit Change?

Is it possible to change the UI to black or a dark theme? With it being white when I am gaming at night and have it open it burns my eyes lol. Also it is possible to change the unit of measurement for the "Current DL Rate" and "Current UP Rate" for network adapters? Currently it is Kilobytes per second which is too small of a unit when using a gigabit connection and it is also the wrong unit of measurement. Ideally it should be Megabits per second.

Thanks in advance!

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and prefer to use the dark theme of the system.

I'm looking forward to a dark version of the UI in a future update. Thank you!

Unfortunately Dark Theme is available only to UWP applications and HWiNFO is not UWP.
So it would require a complete GUI rewrite. I have already looked into this and it's a quite big effort, so I can't give an ETA when such a feature will be implemented.

Unfortunately Dark Theme is available only to UWP applications and HWiNFO is not UWP.
So it would require a complete GUI rewrite. I have already looked into this and it's a quite big effort, so I can't give an ETA when such a feature will be implemented.
I mean, it could be done pretty easily pragmatically. UWP would be required for it to use the dark theme toggle in windows settings. But a simple function that changes the hex values could be done with a toggle in the settings panel. I'm not sure what you're using to write hwinfo. But it should be as simple as

If (darkTheme.Setting == true)
{
panelName.backgroundColor = color.black;
panelName.foregroundColor = color.white;
etc;
etc;
} else {
panelName.backgroundColor = color.white;
panelName.foregroundColor = color.black;
etc;
etc;
}

I mean, it could be done pretty easily pragmatically. UWP would be required for it to use the dark theme toggle in windows settings. But a simple function that changes the hex values could be done with a toggle in the settings panel. I'm not sure what you're using to write hwinfo. But it should be as simple as

If (darkTheme.Setting == true)
{
panelName.backgroundColor = color.black;
panelName.foregroundColor = color.white;
etc;
etc;
} else {
panelName.backgroundColor = color.white;
panelName.foregroundColor = color.black;
etc;
etc;
}

:D That sounds very easy indeed.
But reality is quite different, the trick would be to port the entire application to UWP. Not mentioning the side-effects like losing compatibility with earlier systems and I'm not even sure if UWP applications are allowed to access hardware.

Yeah, IMO UWP is terrible, I tried it a few times and it was just a mess. WinAPI and WinForms are so much better. From a programming standpoint at least.

Total Commander recently introduced Dark Mode as well. This is done via owner-drawn windows. Perhaps you could contact Christian Ghisler and ask him how he's done it in detail. However, judging from the numerous bug reports regarding this mode, it might have side-effects to use owner-drawn windows, and it's certainly a lot of work to implement such a feature.

Regards
Dalai

Even implementing a dark mode just for the sensor window would be greatly appreciated as an intermediate step. You've implemented row shading already, could you make another button that would make all the rows dark, and all the text light? Although I guess the title bar and bottom bar/buttons would need to go dark too...

Also it is possible to change the unit of measurement for the "Current DL Rate" and "Current UP Rate" for network adapters? Currently it is Kilobytes per second which is too small of a unit when using a gigabit connection and it is also the wrong unit of measurement. Ideally it should be Megabits per second.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, right click the sensor and hit Customize, change the Unit to whatever you want (this is a visual change only), and then use the Multiply option to change the numbers to match. For example change the Unit from KB/s to MB/s and Multiply by 0.001 (or maybe it's 0.0009675625, not sure if HWiNFO means 1000 bytes or 1024 bytes when it says KB/s. Traditionally transfer rates are always decimal, but it's also bytes instead of bits in this case, so it's hard to guess). Or change the Unit from KB/s to Mbit/s and Multiply by 0.008 (or 0.008192 if HWiNFO uses 1024 byte KB).

Last edited:
FYI - I have started work on support of Dark Mode, but this is a very tedious task. Every single window and control inside it (and HWiNFO uses lots of them) requires re-adjusting.
I can't promise anything yet, as the outcome is not guaranteed yet to be satisfactory, but here some early preview. Many items aren't working properly yet, but let's hope that will be possible to resolve.

1596811542577.png

1596811321714.png

FYI - I have started work on support of Dark Mode, but this is a very tedious task. Every single window and control inside it (and HWiNFO uses lots of them) requires re-adjusting.
I can't promise anything yet, as the outcome is not guaranteed yet to be satisfactory, but here some early preview. Many items aren't working properly yet, but let's hope that will be possible to resolve.

View attachment 4963

View attachment 4962
Examining system info window has white frame around it
1598086820078.png
Sensors in dark mode kinda look weird, might be the chosen color scheme, some icon edges are contrasting with the dark background and you can see white "glare" around them, the electricity icon might require rework for dark mode.
1598086700896.png
in any case keep up the good work!

That's just some rather minor issues, but I will have a look at that. There are already several other improvements since build 4235 :)

I am just here to say - Oh, man! That is epic.
I really love the dark theme and to be honest have been hoping that to happen.
Again a case for a new donation :D

Thanks.

Back