Cannnot install HWInfo driver

enderep12

Hey everyone,

I got the most recent version through auto-update this morning, however when installing the following pops up:
1683790401317.png

I went from the second to last to this most recent version (I guess 7.44 -> 7.46? - I didn't skip any minor versions inbetween and updated as soon as the auto-updater prompted me to do so) and I'm running it as admin as well.

I'm on Windows 10:
1683790482457.png

Never had this problem before, is there any advice on how to fix it?

Might be related to this: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/thread...2-by-hardware-enforfed-stack-protection.8885/

Thanks and best!

Yes, it's most likely related to that. Please attach the HWiNFO Debug File so I can see in detail what's going on there.

I have no such file in my installation folder. Is there a way to force debug mode when not able to start HWInfo?

Or should I reinstall 7.44, enable debug and then try auto-update again?

Forceable through INI-edit... Sorry for not being able to read :p

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
Hmm, this is a very strange issue. The system says that it cannot start the HWiNFO driver due to: "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."
Try to reboot the system if that will help.

I tried that already and it did not help.

However when I look into my eventlog, I can see the very first error that comes up in regards to the HWiNFO driver which is "permission denied":
1683793163262.png

After that, it only shows the error that there are not enough resources available:
1683793233560.png

After the reboot, the first error again is "permission denied":
1683793324452.png

With all following errors being "not enough resources" again:
1683793360798.png

FWIW: I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with a freshly downloaded 7.46 installer and I get the same error.

Is your drive (C: ) or your Users folder perhaps encrypted? That might be one reason..
Or are you using some antivirus/antimalware software that might be blocking it?
Try to enable the "Persistent Driver" option in HWiNFO main settings / Driver Management if that will help.

Is your drive (C: ) or your Users folder perhaps encrypted? That might be one reason..
Or are you using some antivirus/antimalware software that might be blocking it?
Try to enable the "Persistent Driver" option in HWiNFO main settings / Driver Management if that will help.
As said, I cannot even open HWiNFO at all - so I have no way of getting into the main settings. As soon as I try to launch it, the driver error pops up.

Is there a way to do that through the .ini file?

C:\ is not encrypted and I have antivirus active, however I never had any problems before with the same configuration (and have not changed anything since 7.44). But even disabling AV doesn't help.

Looks like you have the welcome screen disabled. Change the following item in INI file to 1:
ShowWelcomeAndProgress=1

That should open the welcome screen right after start so you will have a change to enter the settings before HWiNFO attempts to start the driver.

Looks like you have the welcome screen disabled. Change the following item in INI file to 1:
ShowWelcomeAndProgress=1

That should open the welcome screen right after start so you will have a change to enter the settings before HWiNFO attempts to start the driver.
Rolling back to 7.44 with the installer from the homepage worked without an issue in case that info is relevant.

I will try updating again with the persistent driver option

Edit: Same error also with persistent driver option... I guess I'm going to stay on 7.44 for now :D

Hmm, this is a very strange error. There has indeed been a change in driver between 7.44 and 7.46 to resolve the problem with HW-enforced stack protection.
But you're the only one reporting such problem and there are certainly thousands of v7.46 installation on all kinds of systems already, yet no one else has reported such error.
You could also attach another Debug File made with the Persistent Driver option enabled.

I suspect something else in your system is blocking the new driver. No notifications in the Security center either that might give more clue?

I suspect something else in your system is blocking the new driver. No notifications in the Security center either that might give more clue?
Nothing at all... I tried shutting of EVERYTHING that might monitor something (Kaspersky Internet Security Antivirus, corsair iCue, Steelseries GG) and I still get the same error with the new driver.

If I look into the event log I find the following (translated to EN manually):
ERROR - Service Control Manager
The Service "HWiNFO Kernel Driver (v180)" can not be started due to the folllowing error:
Not enough system resources available to run the service

INFO - Service Control Manager
A service was installed to the system.

Dienstname: HWiNFO Kernel Driver (v180)
Dienstdateiname: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\HWiNFO64A_180.SYS
Diensttyp: Kernelmodustreiber
Dienststarttyp: Systemstart
Dienstkonto:

INFO - Application Popup
The description for event ID "26" of the source "Application Popup" was not found. Either the component that triggers this event is not installed on the local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event occurred on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was saved with the event:

\??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\HWiNFO64A_180.SYS failed to load

The message resource is available, but the message was not found in the message table.

When I check C:\Windows\system32\drivers\, there is no HWiNFO64A_180.SYS

There is also no service with that name in my service list.

When I disable permanent drivers, then the paths change to C:\Users\enderep12\AppData\Local\Temp

If I check the files in there, I have a lot of the "HWiNFO64A_1XX.SYS" up until 178, however no 180.

Even tried copying over the 178 file to /system32/drivers and rename it to 180 - still no shot

Tried deleting the whole /temp/ directory but this also did not help.

Core Isolation is also not switched on.

Hmm, the absence oh the driver file could mean the problem is not starting of the driver, but something doesn't allow HWiNFO to write the file there. Maybe the antivirus is still filtering something even when not active. I would look there..

Can you maybe upload the driver file so I can try to copy it in the directory manually?

If I check my AV logs and manually enable the logging in there, I can see that HWiNFO tries to read the file, but there never is any WRITE action:
1683799444727.png

I even tried putting in a complete exception for the whole hwinfo.exe

So IMHO the write of the file gets blocked by something even before my AV does anything..

Does not help either... I don't know what else to do...

I can place the file manually and see it until I start HWiNFO.

Immediately when launching HWiNFO the file gets deleted and the error pops up... Same if I try to do it through the "Install" in driver management tab....

Event log then has one "Access Denied" error and afterwards only "Insufficient resources" errors...

Back to 7.44 it is...

Oh! Such behavior indicates something else in the system is blocking it. That's a pretty nasty technique...

Oh! Such behavior indicates something else in the system is blocking it. That's a pretty nasty technique...
I actually solved it...

I was hammering my brain what in the life of god could monitor drivers.... Then I remembered that I randomly read this 3 year old thread on reddit this morning when trying to find out more about my problem:
So I went ahead and uninstalled FaceIT AC (AntiCheat) (it's a CS:GO competitive service with Kernel Level anticheat) and lo and behold: HWiNFO 4.66 suddenly works.

Wow! Great that you found that.
I'm wondering what they have against this driver, but many anti-cheat software are very aggressive and can rather behave like a rootkit. Something that without any notice deletes files or drivers from the system... I'd stay away of that.

Back