"Critical_Process_Died" bsod when starting Hwinfo64

I recently installed Hwinfo64 and MSI Afterburner with the RivaTuner OSD Server to monitor my cpu and gpu temperatures in game. It worked fine the first time I used it. But everytime after that that I tried to run Hwinfo64 on sensory only or summary only my computer would freeze as Hwinfo64 was loading up and give me the "Critical_Process_Died"  bsod. I have no idea how to get Hwinfo64 to work again. I vaguely remember when I ran it the first time (the only time it worked) I got a warning  message from Hwinfo64 warning me to click on this option that would disable one sensory option before Hwinfo64 ran because it conflicts with Hwinfo64 and could cause major issues, probably this bsod.

I tried uninstalling Hwinfo64, running CCleaner to get rid of any bad registry and junk files, searching much computer for remnant files related to Hwinfo64 and delete them, and reinstalling Hwinfo64 multiple times but to no avail. Plus each time I would reinstall Hwinfo64, I wouldnt get that warning message to disable that conflicting sensory option before continuing to run Hwinfo64. I have a feeling it has to do with that but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

My computer specs if that helps with diagnosing this issue are :

Intel i-5 4690k 3.5ghz
Asus Z97 Pro WiFi (I do have the ai suite 3 program installed, not running. Maybe that's a conflict?)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
16gb of DDR3 memory

Martin said:
I'll need the HWiNFO Debug File from the BSOD, so I can see precisely where the problem might be.
Please see here how to create it: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-IMPORTANT-Read-this-before-submitting-a-report

When I ran Hwinfo64 in debug mode, my computer didn't freeze and give me the bsod. It did give me that warning message I mentioned in my previous post, I'll link a picture of it. It warned that reading the data the Asus EC: Asus All Series would cause an issue for Hwinfo64. So once Hwinfo64 was up and running after the long analysis of my computer components I went into the settings and disabled any monitoring and whatever else I could find of the Asus EC: Asus All Series. Figuring that was the fix to my issue with Hwinfo64 , I saved and exited it then re opened it and turned off the debug mode.  Also turned off that option about EC in the safety tab thinking it would help. So I ran Hwinfo64 in just sensor mode, and as it was detecting sensors my computer froze and the bsod I mentioned showed up. So I restarted my computer and tried running Hwinfo64 in debug mode again thinking my computer will freeze up and the bsod would show up, but my computer didn't freeze and Hwinfo64 started up after the component analysis.

So basically unless there's another way, I cannot recreate the bsod whilst Hwinfo64 is in debug mode. Any ideas how to fix this bsod issue so I can run Hwinfo64 normally outside of debug mode?

Here's a pic of the warning message I got about the Asus EC: http://imgur.com/0ZPzS8e

I'm afraid, without getting a Debug File from the crash (running in Debug Mode), it's very difficult for me to diagnose what's exactly going on.
My suggestion would be to try to disable some safety options in HWiNFO like:
EC Support (you already did this)
Drive Scan
GPU I2C Support
and see if some of them might solve your problem.

Martin said:
I'm afraid, without getting a Debug File from the crash (running in Debug Mode), it's very difficult for me to diagnose what's exactly going on.
Drive Scan
GPU I2C Support

I'll try disabling the safety options. I'll also continue trying to get that debug file regarding this bsod issue. It's just so weird that Hwinfo64 worked fine without being debug mode once the very first time I used it.

Are there any steps to fully Uninstall Hwinfo64 just to make sure there aren't any remnants from previous installations of it?

I believe there's no need to uninstall HWiNFO in case you plan to re-install it again.
But if you really want to uninstall it, then you can do it simply via Programs and Features.

Martin said:
I believe there's no need to uninstall HWiNFO in case you plan to re-install it again.
But if you really want to uninstall it, then you can do it simply via Programs and Features.

Yeah I probably don't have to Uninstall it. I just figured it might help to have a clean slate with it. Like clean the  registry associated with it, left over files on my computer of it, etc.

If you want to completely reset user preferences of HWiNFO, then just click the "Reset Preferences" button in HWiNFO settings.

Martin said:
If you want to completely reset user preferences of HWiNFO, then just click the "Reset Preferences" button in HWiNFO settings.

Okay, I'll give that a shot with your previous suggestion.

Martin said:
Drive Scan
GPU I2C Support

So I just tried turning off the safety options you mentioned and Hwinfo64 actually worked normally not in debug mode ^_^. I guess one or all of those options were affecting the program from running properly. Hwinfo64 actually booted up faster than the first time it worked. I could try switching each option one at a time and running Hwinfo64 to see which one is the problem one but it's probably not good for my computer to get bsod this many times in one day lol. Thanks for the awesome suggestions ^_^

But having all those options disabled reduces the amount of information available in HWiNFO.
So perhaps one day you might risk 1-2 BSODs and try to find which of those options was causing the problem ;)

Martin said:
But having all those options disabled reduces the amount of information available in HWiNFO.
So perhaps one day you might risk 1-2 BSODs and try to find which of those options was causing the problem ;)

Hmmm you're right. Guess I'll go try and report back.

Martin said:

Okay so the culprit is turning on the drive scan (safe mode) safety option.  I turned on EC Support, no bsod. Then I turned on EC Support and GPU I2C Support, no bsod.

I am using a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. Could that be why I get a bsod when I enable drive scan (safe mode)? Maybe that option doesn't like my particular ssd or something?

Thanks for the feedback. So we're getting closer..
It's not a problem of that drive, it's working well on several systems with HWiNFO. It might be a problem of the driver used for this SSD, or a combination of the driver and your system.

Martin said:
It's not a problem of that drive, it's working well on several systems with HWiNFO. It might be a problem of the driver used for this SSD, or a combination of the driver and your system.

I'm pretty sure I use the driver that came with the ssd. Maybe if I update my ssd driver it will correct the issue with the driver scan option?

Balancewolf

If the operating system logs no record of problems with the driver that it is not necessary to update it, and more than that if possible you should use the built-OS driver - let there be no "frills", but the number of problems with it would be minimal. It is checked in for the VIA chip drivers, Realtek, Intel, 3COM, SMC - everywhere where something or other equipment identified the OS built-in drivers or problems were not, or they were isolated, and the driver from the manufacturer of the equipment without any problems usually a huge rarity.

Balancewolf said:
Martin said:

I'm pretty sure I use the driver that came with the ssd. Maybe if I update my ssd driver it will correct the issue with the driver scan option?

Yes, trying to update/change the driver might help.

Balancewolf said:
If it helps, Hwinfo64 BSODs when it's detecting THE S.M.A.R.T sensors.
For test, please, download, unzip and run latest CrystalDiskInfo (portable, zip) - if this tool also can't recognize S.M.A.R.T. then is SSD driver is have bug or don't support this hardware.

Notes:

CrystalDiskInfo don't have built-in drivers and use only exists in to Your OS drivers eliminating the occurrence of the prerequisites for the emergence of critical kernel bugs (BSOD == kernel panic), and therefore can help to diagnose the cause.

Back