crucial mx500 TBW not accurate

Thank you so much for looking into the issue!

Regarding what I meant when I wrote about not being able to remove Main and Summary from the tray icon's pop-up menu: The menu showed only Sensors, Settings and Quit before I edited the settings to launch Summary too. After I re-edited the settings by unchecking the Summary checkbox, the menu continues to also show Show All, Summary and Main.

Actually, what mattered to me was not the content of the menu, it was that when I launched HWiNFO, Main and Summary continued to launch too; I only wanted to launch Sensors (minimized). I think it stopped launching them too, but if that issue returns I'll ask about it. Perhaps it depends on whether HWiNFO is launched manually or by its "autostart with Windows" setting. Perhaps it would help if there were additional settings: settings for the autostart behavior, and independent settings for the manual launch behavior.

Thank you so much for looking into the issue!

Regarding what I meant when I wrote about not being able to remove Main and Summary from the tray icon's pop-up menu: The menu showed only Sensors, Settings and Quit before I edited the settings to launch Summary too. After I re-edited the settings by unchecking the Summary checkbox, the menu continues to also show Show All, Summary and Main.

Actually, what mattered to me was not the content of the menu, it was that when I launched HWiNFO, Main and Summary continued to launch too; I only wanted to launch Sensors (minimized). I think it stopped launching them too, but if that issue returns I'll ask about it. Perhaps it depends on whether HWiNFO is launched manually or by its "autostart with Windows" setting. Perhaps it would help if there were additional settings: settings for the autostart behavior, and independent settings for the manual launch behavior.

There is only one set of settings no matter if it's automatically or manually started.
To avoid starting the Summary go into the menu - Settings and uncheck the "Show System Summary on Startup" option.

I had already unchecked "Show System Summary on Startup." That's what I meant when I wrote above that "I re-edited the settings by unchecking the Summary checkbox."

I'm not sure it had saved the checkbox change to the .INI file. I remember needing to manually edit the .INI file afterward, and I think the edit I made was to change Summary from 1 to 0.

It wasn't easy to edit the .INI file because its permissions blocked me from saving it. I worked around that problem by moving HWiNFO64.exe and the .INI file from C:\ to a different drive.

The drive firmware is truncating values reported, so if they reach a certain limit (32-bit), instead of extending to a higher nibble, they start counting from zero. This problem occurs in reporting of ATA Statistics values - this is a standard which offers plenty of room to report higher values, but the firmware doesn't use it. Only the drive vendor can fix this with a firmware update, so you (as their customer) might contact their support and report this.

Here are excerpts of the output of 'smartctl -x c:' related to Total Host Reads and Total Host Writes:
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device Statistics (GP Log 0x04)
Page Offset Size Value Flags Description
0x01 ===== = = === == General Statistics (rev 1) ==
0x01 0x008 4 99 --- Lifetime Power-On Resets
0x01 0x010 4 1193 --- Power-on Hours
0x01 0x018 6 752680062 --- Logical Sectors Written
0x01 0x020 6 367968057 --- Number of Write Commands
0x01 0x028 6 1406829912 --- Logical Sectors Read
0x01 0x030 6 339732717 --- Number of Read Commands
0x01 0x038 6 4294967296 --- Date and Time TimeStamp

If the three values in blue reported by smartctl are taken at face value, calculations would imply Total Host Reads is 670.8 GB and Total Host Writes is 358.9 GB:
1,406,829,912 x 512 bytes / (1024 x 1024 x 1024) = 670.8 GBytes
752,680,062 x 512 bytes / (1024 x 1024 x 1024) = 358.9 GBytes

HWiNFO displays Total Host Reads = 670 GB and Total Host Writes = 6,502 GB.

The calculations above suggest BOTH the Logical Sectors Written and Logical Sectors Read values are incorrectly reported (truncated) by the ssd firmware, since both are too small to believe for an ssd that's been in service for about 7 months experiencing pc restarts, Windows updates, full virus scans, full backups, etc. But HWiNFO appears to compensate somehow when calculating THW = 6,502 GB. I'm wondering how HWiNFO compensates for THW and why HWiNFO can't also compensate when it calculates THR. Which values reported by the ssd does HWiNFO use to calculate Total Host Writes and Total Host Reads?

HWiNFO reads the THR and THW from both - SMART data and ATA Statistics.
Problem with this drive is that it truncates the values reported in ATA Statistics. SMART values seem to contain full-size data, but only for THW, THR is not reported in SMART for this drive AFAIK.
The patch I implemented in HWiNFO for this drive was to use the SMART value for THW, but THR is still read from ATA Statistics (truncated).

I get it. You must be referring to the Total_LBAs_Written SMART attribute:
246 Total_LBAs_Written -O--CK 100 100 000 - 13637581950
Assuming one LBA is 512 bytes, that equals 6,502 GB written. And presumably it means written by the host. Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

HWiNFO might be able to automatically compensate for the truncation by storing a previous value of Logical Sectors Read, so that when LSR becomes smaller due to an overflow truncation, HWiNFO would increment a (nonvolatile) overflow counter and thus could calculate how much to add to LSR to compensate. Of course, the overflow counter would be guaranteed to be accurate only if HWiNFO is installed early in the life of the drive (before the drive's first overflow) and run at least one time between successive overflows. If a version with the automatic compensation feature wasn't installed early in the life of the drive, HWiNFO could also provide a user setting for an initial compensation value... the user would need to estimate or guess the approximate Total Bytes Read, from which HWiNFO could deduce the overflow count. HWiNFO could write the overflow counter (and the date?) to nonvolatile memory (its .INI file?) when it exits, and also periodically (once every few hours?) to guard against crashes.

Sorry, but I think it would be much better if the vendor would fix this in the firmware rather than implementing such special quirks.
It's their responsibility to provide correct values, so you as their customer should contact their support and request a fix.

Back