Dell high temperatures

kingsteven22

Hello everyone!

Im a completely new user on the forums, first of all i would like to thank the author for creating this awesome program, i found it the most user-friendly app to check temps.
Secondly i came here to seek for advices, so its not quite hwinfo related, more like a noobie user worrying about overheating issues (again).
I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron 15R N5110, which got a complete heatsink-vent replacement 1 year ago (because of overheating)
and now its coming back again!:)
I would really like to understand the cause which leads there, dust/quality of thermal paste/heatsink?
Im using coolpad, trying to keep it clean from dust, it gets enough air for inflow/outflow.

However these max temps appeared at full cpu/gpu load, and im not really sure the laptop's cooling system was designed for that capacity.

My question is, should i worry about these high temps, and reapply thermal paste, or is it worth lowering the clock speed of the gpu/cpu for lower temps? Also the Aux2/PCH temp is always high, even when the vent turns off(does it?), it still shows 65-70C, is it normal?

If you have any advice, please share it with me!:)

Thanks,
Steven

This is a pretty common problem for many notebooks - their cooling solutions are just not able to sufficiently cool the CPU (sometimes GPU as well), especially the high peaks.
I for example am on a Toshiba now and I can easily bring it into the same temperature range.
I think this is also because most notebooks were not designed to be running at full load (over larger time periods).
I'm not sure what advice to give you, it depends on how you use the notebook. If those peaks happen occasionally only, then you might not need to worry about it - the CPU will start to automatically throttle down when a critical temperature is reached.

Back