Dell XPS 15 9570 temperatures not named anymore

maffle

Hey,

not sure when this happened, mostly around one of the last bios updates, but HwInfo doesnt show the EC temperature values anymore with coresponding names

now:

VWBjUGC.png

before:

H9hYpJC.png

So not sure if the order is still the same.

Yes, that's certainly due to a BIOS update as the BIOS is responsible for providing the sensor values.
If you attach the HWiNFO Debug File I will have a look at that.

Martin said:
Yes, that's certainly due to a BIOS update as the BIOS is responsible for providing the sensor values.
If you attach the HWiNFO Debug File I will have a look at that.

-

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.zip
    109 KB · Views: 1
Well, indeed. It looks like the last BIOS doesn't provide information about temperature meanings anymore.
I'm sorry I can't do anything here, this lies in DELL's hands...

Hmpf... I will ask at Dell then about this, but I doubt they are interested in changing this back. I also noticed the SMART information says "Drive Temperature" and "Drive Temperature 2", is this also due to the Bios/EC, or is this always named like that or by the specific drive?

I too doubt they will change that or provide some clarification. The interface used to provide these values is very secret.
Drive Temperature is independent from that. If it's a NVMe drive, the first value is most probably the media a second the controller temperature.

Hello, I've been working on the Linux driver for monitoring hardware temperatures on Dell based laptops to add the support for XPS 9570... as you already noticed, Dell has broken the SMM procedure that is supposed to provide information about the sensors (0x11a3) and fans (0x03a3), more can be found about it here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Broken-SMM-procedures-in-XPS-9570-firmware/m-p/6229521

So far I had no luck with Dell at all, after months dealing with their support.

I wonder why they decided to change that and whether there's a different way to retrieve the information (sensors labels are displayed correctly in the diagnostic tool provided by Dell).

I don't know why they did it. It's quite possible there's some new function to retrieve this information.
I have requested information about these functions some time ago and even though I have an NDA with them and good contacts, my request was denied.

This is really bad news and reason to avoide Dell actually, because yeah, that is the Dell I learned to love.

Back