Did i damage my CPU or motherboard ?

matpc

Hello

I have a Asus Tuf B550M motherboard, a Ryzen 7 5700X and an XPG Pylon 650w PSU.

I have installed a new cpu fan as well as some case fans.

I´ve tried to set the max frequency ( 4,6ghz) in ryzen master to test some temps

However , when i tried to do it , it asked me to also change the voltage (to 1,55v , maxvoltage) and when i did it my , cpu temperature was like 100 degrees in 5 seconds and the pc shut off

I´m wondering if this could cause any damage? i turned on the pc after just fine but i´m kinda worried

Thanks

CPUs have some safety measures to prevent them from being damaged or killed. In simple cases it just throttles. In extreme cases the system just shuts off - just like you experienced.

Despite these safety features, applying high voltages for a longer period of time can (and probably will) degrade the CPU over time, so I advise against applying such high voltages unless you know what you're doing.

I suggest to stress the CPU at stock voltages with programs like Prime95, OCCT or y-cruncher to test the CPU performance, voltage and temperature. Repeat these tests/benchmarks if you intend to overclock to see if the overclock is stable.

Regards
Dalai

No, that should not cause any damage. The CPU shuts down if the temperature reaches dangerous levels.

Back