DIMM not detected and Temperature sensors missing Asus Pro WS WRX80E-Sage-SE WIFI

The memory is not detected in 4 of 8 slots and 4 temperature sensors are missing in the standard DIMM list in the HWInfo sensor section, however the IPMI section shows temperatures for DIMM A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H. Also in the HWInfo main pane the DIMM information only shows information for DIMM "4,5,6,7" with DIMM 0,1,2,3 competely missing. Clicking the drop down box only reveals entries for 4,5,6,7. This is obviously incorrect and I have swapped memory modules between A,B,C,D and E,F,G,H.

Using CPUz to list SPD information for the first 4 slots works but CPUz only lists SPD information correctly for Slot#1,#2,#3,#4 and the #5,#6,#7,#8 slots are greyed out, seemingly opposite to how HWInfo behaves. I have retreived the serial numbers, manufacturer, manufacturing date, model number and other SPD information correctly for all 8 modules just using the first 4 slots with CPUz.

The BIOS lists 512GB RAM and 8 channels. Windows detects 512GB RAM and I am able to create a large RAM disk and use it, filling beyond 488GB with no errors. Any help with this detection bug would be appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I am unable to upload the debug file because your server says "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process". Please fix this.

Attachments

• OVERKILL.HTM
    700.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Please compress the Debug File using something like 7zip, zip or rar and attach.

This mainboard seems to use a proprietary method to access DIMM groups, so without a dedicated control software can see only one DIMM group.
I will check with ASUS how this can be properly supported.

This mainboard seems to use a proprietary method to access DIMM groups, so without a dedicated control software can see only one DIMM group.
I will check with ASUS how this can be properly supported.
Can I now stop worrying that the memory controller, CPU or motherboard are somehow faulty?

Any fixes for this yet? Even memtest86 doesn't detect SPD in the first 4 DIMM slots. Is this related to the problems in the thread talking about the IPMI, SMBus and I²C conflicts? Is there a new build in progress that will address this problem?

No, this is a design feature (quite common on boards with many DIMM channels) and not an issue. There's a mux used to switch different bank groups on the mainboard, but we don't know how to control it to read all DIMMs.

If you are still looking for a solution to this, try the following:

From the BIOS, go to the Server Mgmt. Change the BMC DRAM SMBUS Switch to BIOS. Save and Reboot.

I can now see all 8 DIMMS from HWINFO.

Of course, you will loose access to the DRAM information from the BMC.

Back