Explorer.exe crash on Windows 11 when Shared Memory Support reaches the 12 hrs limit

t0yz

Hello,

I've been getting this Explorer crash on Win11 when the Shared Memory Expired notification pops when you reach the 12 hrs limit. Thought it might be of use in case it's a HWinfo mild incompatibility with the new OS.
Please let me know if you need more data. It takes quite a while for me to replicate it since it requires 12 hrs of PC time, but I'm sure you can trigger that popup manually to check.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-12 021748.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-12 021748.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 6
I tried to reproduce this issue, but can't and it works well on Windows 11 for me.
I assume this happens when HWiNFO notifies about deactivating the Shared Memory support due to time limit exceeded. This is done by sending a notification to Shell/explorer using standard methods. So I think the problem is somewhere else on your system or in Windows 11. Are you perhaps using some applications that read data from HWiNFO Shared Memory? The issue could be there as well.

I tried to reproduce this issue, but can't and it works well on Windows 11 for me.
I assume this happens when HWiNFO notifies about deactivating the Shared Memory support due to time limit exceeded. This is done by sending a notification to Shell/explorer using standard methods. So I think the problem is somewhere else on your system or in Windows 11. Are you perhaps using some applications that read data from HWiNFO Shared Memory? The issue could be there as well.
Thanks Martin. I use the MSIAB/RTSS combo. I kept a .dmp file from the crash if you can make use of it, and yes the crash occurs during the popup appearing.
Maybe also of interest is that the GFE/NVCP icon disappeared from the Win11 tray (this is how I knew something actually happened and went to the Event Viewer/Reliability History). Can't be sure if I had MSIAB launched, I am quite sure I did not. Also use Kaspersky Internet Security which I assume can interfere with this sort of stuff.

On Windows 10 I had the exact same config and nothing like this happened.

explorer.exe is the process handling tray icons. So if it crashes and an application posting an icon doesn't handle this and restore its icon, it will disappear.
Anyway, this process is quite crucial and should not crash when an application posts an icon (or no matter what else another application does).

Back