First Post: Fan Control

Jan J

Hello... First post...
Dell XPS 17" 702x laptop.  W7-64.  Running latest 64 bit HWInfo. I have a few questions after a few hours of experimenting....
I've got HWinfo set to start on login, but it's not starting minimized, but maximized.
My intent is to start with the fan speed at 2800 as a minimum, and if it needs more RPM the Sensor in the Dell would raise it...  However, after a few evenings of examination, the best I've got is to have HWInfo start maximized, and I have to manually set fan after startup, and I'm not certain if it recognizes the Dell sensor afterwards.....

So my questions are:
1. Once I get HWInfo it to start maximized, where is the setting to change it start minimized? I can't fiind it...
2. How an I get HWInfo 64 to automatically start the Dell Fan at 2800 RPM as a starting and minimum value, such that Dell fan control goes from 2800 RPM to 4800 RPM under control of Dell Sensor in steps, but never goes below 2800 RPM?

Thanks for your direction...
Jan

The Fan Control window can be started minimized using a hidden option. You need to put the following line at the end of HWiNFO64.INI file:
OpenFanCtrlMin=1

As for custom fan speed settings you will need to use the Custom Auto mode. Unfortunately DELL system don't allow other applications like HWiNFO a fine-grained fan control, only 3 discrete levels are available.

Martin said:
The Fan Control window can be started minimized using a hidden option. You need to put the following line at the end of HWiNFO64.INI file:
OpenFanCtrlMin=1
Thanks... Got that....

As for custom fan speed settings you will need to use the Custom Auto mode. Unfortunately DELL system don't allow other applications like HWiNFO a fine-grained fan control, only 3 discrete levels are available.

I start into this next...  I have heard elsewhere that there are only a few levels of fan control...  My interest is: Once I set it--say to 2400RPM... If the sensor need a higher speed, will it upshift, and then when cool enough will it downshift to 0 RPM or 2400 RPM?

Thanks

I believe I have Custom Auto Fan control going... Time will tell...
Thanks for the direction... Will have to read rest of this forum to learn more about this...

Jan J said:
I believe I have Custom Auto Fan control going... Time will tell...
Thanks for the direction... Will have to read rest of this forum to learn more about this...

Follow up on this post.... and another question....  I DO Have Custom Auto Fan control working!! 
I also was able to get NVidia 555 temperature sensor in Systray...
Is there a way of putting the current Fan RPM in the Systray, such that it reports the current RPM???  
Thanks for the direction!!! :D

Sure, you can put any sensor value into tray. Fan RPM should be under the DELL EC sensor.

Back