Having troubles after update Windows 11 yesterday

As an update to this - I was having this issue after the update. it has to do with core isolation. Once I disabled Core Isolation, all my utilities worked. CPU-Z, FanControl, HWInfo, and Corsair iCUE on my system were all not working. But after disabling CI, all are working again.

As an update to this - I was having this issue after the update. it has to do with core isolation. Once I disabled Core Isolation, all my utilities worked. CPU-Z, FanControl, HWInfo, and Corsair iCUE on my system were all not working. But after disabling CI, all are working again.
Yeah that is a known fix highlighted at the start of the thread, the main issues is that, microsoft have created an AV feature (Core Isolation) that does not provide the ability for an end user to add trusted and signed code (in this case a software driver that monitors critical hardware features) to an allow list on the local PC, they need to stop this crap and give devs of paid software a helping hand to correct these issues without the end user having to turn off an entire security feature (that is still useful for the most part) for one binary that is from a trusted source.

Some vendors have tried to discuss this with Microsoft and what MS claims is not quite what we observe. As our drivers should be HVCI-compliant (verified using MS tools), they should not be blacklisted. So we're still not sure whether this is some bug in Windows resulting in incorrect blocking of drivers, or there are some other criteria enforced now which we're unaware of yet. A vary bad way of MS treating their customers and vendors creating software for their systems.

so what's new? Microsoft thinks they're too big and important to ever be wrong.
Some vendors have tried to discuss this with Microsoft and what MS claims is not quite what we observe. As our drivers should be HVCI-compliant (verified using MS tools), they should not be blacklisted. So we're still not sure whether this is some bug in Windows resulting in incorrect blocking of drivers, or there are some other criteria enforced now which we're unaware of yet. A vary bad way of MS treating their customers and vendors creating software for their systems.

We still don't know. The initial discussion evolved until the point where we said that we're not aware of being non-compliant and asked them to explain us the reason why are they blocking us. Beyond that point we haven't received an answer...

We still don't know. The initial discussion evolved until the point where we said that we're not aware of being non-compliant and asked them to explain us the reason why are they blocking us. Beyond that point we haven't received an answer...

I mean if there is a possible undisclosed CVE 0 day in your driver code they should be letting you know so you can resolve it sooner rather than later.
Sounds like they are using other means to plug an API they have not yet patched

Looks like this issue might be a bug in Windows code and Microsoft will fix it. That might happen in 1-2 weeks if all goes well.

This issue is back after installing:

2023-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5028254)

I turned off the memory integrity check as a workaround, of course. Updating software doesn't seem to help.

Last edited:
This issue is back after installing:

2023-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5028254)

I turned off the memory integrity check as a workaround, of course. Updating software doesn't seem to help.
Can you please provide more details about the problem? A screenshot of the error message, HWiNFO Debug File..

Can you please provide more details about the problem? A screenshot of the error message, HWiNFO Debug File..

Well, I guess it was just my system. I'm thinking I had an old copy of the driver. Despite not having hwinfo installed, I had this:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\HWiNFO64A.SYS

That was the one that I got a pop-up about, that had been blocked from loading.

Unfortunately I couldn't get memory integrity to turn back on, and it wouldn't tell me why. So no screen print. And since I didn't have hwinfo installed when I got the error message, no debug file.

I'm not sure where this driver file came from. I deleted that file and removed the autorun for it. Nothing seems to be broken.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Attachments

• driver file.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
Probably a leftover from some old installation or other application using HWiNFO.
Here some more tips how to remove it:

Hi Martin,
just got this today :(
never happened before with previous builds that have Kernel mode hardware enforce stack protection= on, this just happen on today build

Attachments

• Screenshot (719).jpg
    Screenshot (719).jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That driver should be compatible with Hardware-enforced Stack Protection so I assume it's some bug in the latest Windows build.
I have already sent an inquiry into Microsoft about this and they are investigating it... So I'm waiting for the result...

Last edited:
Back