hp elitebook 8560w fan icon

nerdkidleo

hi there!

i just got a new hp elitebook 8560w but when i installed hwinfo32 and hwinfo64 i realised that theres no fan icon. before this i own a elitebook 8560p and it has it but for some reason this doesnt. anybody experiencing the same thing?

[attachment=257]

Leon

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 6
Do you see an "SMSC EMC..." sensor in the list too? If you don't see it on the new model, then the fan control is not supported there (that sensor should be present on your previous model, where fan control was supported).

Martin said:
Do you see an "SMSC EMC..." sensor in the list too? If you don't see it on the new model, then the fan control is not supported there (that sensor should be present on your previous model, where fan control was supported).

nope..the SMSC is not there man..are u guys going to support fan control on this model?

I'm sorry, but this is currently not in plan. The fan control there is probably very specific and proprietary.

Martin said:
I'm sorry, but this is currently not in plan. The fan control there is probably very specific and proprietary.

thats sad to hear. o well. thanks for your help any ways martin. ;)

Systems that feature regular fan control circuits (most desktop systems and few notebooks) are easy to implement fan control, because those circuts are mostly well described.
However most notebook systems use proprietary methods for fan control impelmented via microcontrollers (EC) and their proprietary firmware. This area is not documented, so implementing fan control here is quite difficult.

Hello, I didn't want to create a new thread for my question so I'll just use this one.

Is it possible to add the power usage reading while the laptop is plugged in? I do get a reading how much power is used when on running on battery but when I plug the charger the power usage is gone.
I tried using the HP power assistant and it did show the power usage when plugged in but the program is a massive bloat.

Where do you see the power usage displayed in HWiNFO, under the Battery heading in Sensors ? Can you please attach a screenshot while plugged-in and on battery ?

repman244 said:
Hello, I didn't want to create a new thread for my question so I'll just use this one.

Is it possible to add the power usage reading while the laptop is plugged in? I do get a reading how much power is used when on running on battery but when I plug the charger the power usage is gone.
I tried using the HP power assistant and it did show the power usage when plugged in but the program is a massive bloat.

Martin said:
Where do you see the power usage displayed in HWiNFO, under the Battery heading in Sensors ? Can you please attach a screenshot while plugged-in and on battery ?

repman244 said:

On Battery:
onbattery.jpg

Plugged in:
pluggedin.jpg

In case the battery is fully charged and put into the charger, the Charge Rate is zero and thus not reported. This should be normal.
The charge rate is a different information than power consumed by the entire machine (from battery and AC brick).

Even if your battery would be discharged, machine put on AC and charge rate displayed, this would not determine the real power consumption of your machine. The charge rate would determine the designed power (based on current flowing into the battery) to charge the battery.

Martin said:
Even if your battery would be discharged, machine put on AC and charge rate displayed, this would not determine the real power consumption of your machine. The charge rate would determine the designed power (based on current flowing into the battery) to charge the battery.

Ah, I understand now, I thought it was possible to measure the power consumption when the battery is charged as well, but there probably isn't such a chip on the MOBO.

There might be such a possibility in case the HP tool can do it, but it's most probably some specific/proprietary design about which I do not have further information.

Back