HwInfo causing FPS drop anomalies on Nvidia GPUs with VSync

You can see the entire issue in this video happening, with all steps. how it is still working, until you open sensors, then you need to wait a little bit about 10-20 seconds, issue starts to randomly happen. closing sensors doesnt stop it to happen, until fully closing hwinfo.

Interesting, that explains something... NVML became problematic since a couple of NVIDIA driver versions back, especially the power monitoring. It's also causing elevated load, etc.
So this is clearly an issue of NVIDIA drivers.

So this is clearly an issue of NVIDIA drivers.
What does that mean in detail. That might explain the stutter and lag issues reported on the Nvidia driver forums since months when using VSync maybe people using HwInfo (or other monitoring tools), with no word from Nvidia on it. Does MSI AB / RTSS also use NVML? Do other programs, games or even Windows maybe also use NVML?

I am sure you know people at Nvidia, could you maybe talk to them about this or open a bug report for it, it is really hard to push a bug report as a normal user at Nvidia.

I don't know for sure if others use NVML too, it's rather designed for workstation series.. HWiNFO uses it because some information could not be gathered using other common interfaces.

How does PresentMon work? does it internally maybe also use NVML? or it is not actually an issue of NVML directly but something that NVML also internally uses to monitor? because when I use MSI AB and have the in game OSD on, the issue seems to happen too. if I use PresentMon of HwInfo it seems to happen too but not that often, or its two different problems or kinda related. it seems to happen also more often / easily with MSI AB OSD, than with PresentMon of HwInfo. the example with ufotest is though just really easy to see how it happens if HwInfo loads HVML library.

Intel's PresentMon is using NVML too for monitoring but that's the full Intel's PresentMon app.
Raw PresentMon as used by HWiNFO doesn't use NVML by itself but essentially it monitors certain statistics of processes running on GPU (like presented frames, etc.) so that can have some impact on sensitive applications.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/m...ended-sliders-more.424559/page-3#post-5622018 these posts suggest MSI AB also uses NVML for something, maybe indirectly giving a hint, that the issue seen here also is seen when using MSI AB.

So maybe all monitoring tools using NVML triggering the issue in its current state, some maybe more than others.

Again, if you know the right person at Nvidia maybe, would be nice if you could send them an email about this finding. Not sure if the entire VSYNC stutter / FPS drop issue is all related to NVML, maybe it is deepter under the hood of NVML.

NVIDIA isn't very keen on fixing issues...
I know. I have tried before in last years to push some bug reports. I am sure you can push them better than some normal user. If I am right, this issue is well spread for a lot of people. I have seen FPS VSync reports on the Nvidia forums for months now with hundreds of posts. Seems Nvidia is not aware so far it might be related to NVML, if its true.

Until this gets resolved I think you should push an updated version of HwInfo which disables NVML by default.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been noticing weird microstutters in gaming since I updated to the latest Nvidia driver.

Turning off NVML did help by removing the worst stutters in the blurbuster test, which was going up and down between 110 to 118fps on my 120hz monitor.

But, it seems like even without it, the FPS still drop to 118 as soon as the GPU monitoring is turned on. See the 2 screenshots:

With monitoring enabled

Capture d’écran (6).png

Without monitoring enabled

Capture d’écran (7).png

Is this the expected behavior? Maybe it was always like that and I just never noticed it...

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been noticing weird microstutters in gaming since I updated to the latest Nvidia driver.

Turning off NVML did help by removing the worst stutters in the blurbuster test, which was going up and down between 110 to 118fps on my 120hz monitor.

But, it seems like even without it, the FPS still drop to 118 as soon as the GPU monitoring is turned on. See the 2 screenshots:

With monitoring enabled

View attachment 10491

Without monitoring enabled

View attachment 10492

Is this the expected behavior? Maybe it was always like that and I just never noticed it...

You might need to completely disable the "NVML Support" option in main settings of HWiNFO.

With NVML + GPU monitoring both enabled: 110-117FPS
With NVML Disabled but GPU monitoring enabled: 118FPS
With NVML + GPU monitoring disable 120FPS

Last edited:
So disabling NVML does help a lot, but does not remove all stutter. To remove all stutter I need to also disable the GPU monitoring. My question is: Is it normal for GPU monitoring (without NVML) to cause some stutter?

Back