HWiNFO v7.73-5370 Beta released

Martin

HWiNFO Author
Staff member
HWiNFO v7.73-5370 Beta available.

Changes:
  • Added fully integrated OSD.
  • Windows XP support dropped in HWiNFO64.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS NUC series.
  • Improved health monitoring of some NVMe drives connected via Intel RST.
  • Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI.

For more information about the new OSD see:

Last edited:
This version (v7.73-5370 Beta) will not start for me from Task Scheduler. I made a Task there (long ago) called HIWNFO Manual and when I update to a new version I edit the Action of the Task to direct it to the new .exe file. This has always worked fine until this version. If I set the Task to open the previous version, it works fine. I can open this version by double-clicking on HWiNFO64.exe but the Task Scheduler task will not run. The Event Properties in Task Scheduler says, "Task Scheduler failed to start "\HWINFO Manual" task for user "XXXX". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147943140. I Googled this Error Value. It may have something to do with changing the user password, but I have not changed any passwords recently. I use the Admin account on this machine and there is no password. I did recently generate a new ssh key pair for use on github. Could that have something to do with it?

This version (v7.73-5370 Beta) will not start for me from Task Scheduler. I made a Task there (long ago) called HIWNFO Manual and when I update to a new version I edit the Action of the Task to direct it to the new .exe file. This has always worked fine until this version. If I set the Task to open the previous version, it works fine. I can open this version by double-clicking on HWiNFO64.exe but the Task Scheduler task will not run. The Event Properties in Task Scheduler says, "Task Scheduler failed to start "\HWINFO Manual" task for user "XXXX". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147943140. I Googled this Error Value. It may have something to do with changing the user password, but I have not changed any passwords recently. I use the Admin account on this machine and there is no password. I did recently generate a new ssh key pair for use on github. Could that have something to do with it?

That error means "The requested operation requires elevation.", so it looks like there are not sufficient rights.
Is HWiNFO64 located in a "secure folder" ?

No. Here is the procedure I always do when a HWINFO update is released. I have a drive dedicated for programs like this. There is a folder on this drive called HWINFO and inside that folder are folders for each version that I download. I made a new folder for v7.73-5370 beta, copied the new zip file into it and extracted it. I then go to Task Scheduler, open the task I made called HWINFO Manual, go to the Action tab, select the old path, click Edit, then Browse to the new version folder, open it, and select the new HWiNFO64.exe file. I also move my HWINFO64_KEY.txt file into the new folder. I just tried it on my other machine. Same procedure, same error. I also disabled that task and made a new one. Same behavior. I also downloaded the zip file again. Same behavior.

In Task Scheduler, Task - Action, if I set the target folder and file back to the v7.73-5365 (last beta version) exe file, the task runs fine. When I set the target folder and file to the new folder with v7.73-5370 beta exe file in it, the task will not run. If I go to the folder and double-click the HWiNFO64.exe file, the program opens as usual. I also tried moving the v7.73-5365 beta files out of their folder and put the v7.73-5370 beta files into that folder. The task will still not run, but it does run when v7.73-5365 files are in that folder. So it does not seem to be the file location. Both machines - same behavior. On both machines I use the Admin account with no password.

I attached a zip file with screen shots of each tab for the Task in Task Scheduler and Explorer windows that show where all the HWINFO files are including the new folder that the new zip file was extracted to. The Task settings and paths are identical on both machines. I don't know if its a Windows permissions issue or something specific to this beta version of HWINFO. Both machines are running Windows 10 22H2 Build 19045.4046.

Attachments

• HWINFO v7.73-5370 beta Task Scheduler Tabs.zip
    236.5 KB · Views: 8
Looks like the problem is the new "uiAccess=true" requirement for the OSD.
Due to very strict rules enforced by Microsoft such applications cannot be started without a UAC prompt (or via Windows Task Scheduler).
I'm searching for a solution but it seems this won't be easy and require a very different approach.

OK so its not something on my end. I have not checked out the new OSD feature yet but will. I tried disabling PresentMon in HWINFO settings but the task still would not run.

I doubt most people manually update a task in task manager every time they download a HWINFO update. I have just always done it the way I described. Will the task that HWINFO creates automatically update the target exe file if new downloads are always put in the same directory? Will this issue affect the task that HWINFO creates? If yes, I am surprised that no one else has reported this.

I'm not sure yet as I'm still looking into this and it seems it will require some simple launcher for HWiNFO started by Task Scheduler that will then start HWiNFO.
In the end the process should be transparent and don't require the user to do any additional work.

OK I will stand by for a solution. Its no big deal to start HWINFO manually for a while. Thanks for looking into this.

Same issue here to confirm the results... I always uncheck Auto Start and then OK in Settings and then check Auto Start and then OK in Settings so it points to the current version. It works fine in v7.73-5365 and earlier but just v7.73-5370 has this issue.

I would like to completely revamp the Auto Start so that it will also work more reliable.

Thanks @SpeedyIV. v7.73-5375 works fine for me as it basically creates a HWiNFO64Launcher.exe as part of the launching from task scheduler.

1709187116914.png

1709164635046.png
1709164862833.png

Last edited:
Here is the error from Task Scheduler for HWINFO v7.73-5375.

Explains why it does not startup for me i guess, brb reboot see if it starts up and if no what errors i can find
Windows 11 has no history so i cant see if it failed to startup.
But if i right click and run it does not run at all.
on 7.73-5375

edit: this error it gives on last run.
last run result 0x800702E4
Which indicates
1709166345190.png
Not sure how acurate this is

edit: it fixed when i disabled auto start then enabled it again.

Last edited:
Explains why it does not startup for me i guess, brb reboot see if it starts up and if no what errors i can find
Windows 11 has no history so i cant see if it failed to startup.
But if i right click and run it does not run at all.
on 7.73-5375

edit: this error it gives on last run.
last run result 0x800702E4
Which indicates
View attachment 10802
Not sure how acurate this is

edit: it fixed when i disabled auto start then enabled it again.
That was what I did. I copied the INI file from the previous version and then manually run the new version and do settings, toggle auto start off from on followed by OK, then settings, toggle auto start on ad click on OK. Right click and exit HWnfo. Launch Task Scheduler, look for HWInfo task and click on End and then Run. Looks like this changed in Task Scheduler which is why it works after it's enabled again:

1709170555932.png

Last edited:
HWiNFO should automatically adjust the task to HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and create such file in the HWiNFO64 folder.
If this doesn't work, it might be because you're using a customized task. Try to disable and enable Auto Start then.
Note, that now the actions should be performed right on clicking the Auto Start box and no need for also clicking the OK button.

HWiNFO should automatically adjust the task to HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and create such file in the HWiNFO64 folder.
If this doesn't work, it might be because you're using a customized task. Try to disable and enable Auto Start then.
Note, that now the actions should be performed right on clicking the Auto Start box and no need for also clicking the OK button.
I always had to click OK because yesterday in v7.73-5370 I tried just clicking it off and then back on, only to have it still pointing at the v7.73-5365 folder and not the v7.73-5370 when I refreshed Task Scheduler and looked at the HWInfo task properties. It only updated when I clicked on OK.

Back