HWiNFO v7.73-5380 Beta released

@SpeedyIV - Did you try v7.73-5381 to see if it fixed the problems?
Oh - I did not see the post with the link to v7.73-5381 I am trying to download it now but MS keeps blocking it and says there is a Trojan Script - Wacatac.h!ml.

Update - OK I got around the virus problem. v-5381 is working and reporting the Vision The only problem now is the new Task in Task Manager will not run. I can run the autolauncher which starts HWINFO OK but when I run the new Task nothing happens. Everything in the Task looks OK but it does not run. I am going to go through the install process again and see if that fixes the Task.

Update - I deleted the new Task, the HWINFO64.INI file and the launcher exe file and started over. The Task is now working. The only problem now is that I had arranged the Aquacomputer sensors in the main sensor panel in a custom order and renamed some of them (in v7.73-5375). After I arranged the sensors, I did Backup User Settings which generated a .REG file. Today in v7.73-5381, I disabled Fixed Order, closed HWINFO v7.73-5381, ran the .REG file, and restarted HWINFO but my custom order did not come back properly and some of the name changes have reverted to default. I had problems with this last night with v7.73-5380 but did not post about them since the main issue was getting the Vision to work. I don't know why my custom order and sensor names did not come back but I will just set it up again.

Martin - Many thanks for adding the Vision.

Last edited:
Oh - I did not see the post with the link to v7.73-5381 I am trying to download it now but MS keeps blocking it and says there is a Trojan Script - Wacatac.h!ml.

Update - OK I got around the virus problem. v-5381 is working and reporting the Vision The only problem now is the new Task in Task Manager will not run. I can run the autolauncher which starts HWINFO OK but when I run the new Task nothing happens. Everything in the Task looks OK but it does not run. I am going to go through the install process again and see if that fixes the Task.

Martin - Many thanks for adding the Vision.
Yeah, I had the block with MS Windows Security for v7.73-5381 as well and I either Allowed or Restored it.
1709911318897.pngIt seems like as soon as the Auto Start is enabled after turning it off in HWInfo settings, the file HWiNFO64Launcher.exe is created which is what is supposed to run from Task Scheduler.

I'm not getting any virus warning for that build, must be some weird false alarm.
VirusTotal didn't find anything either:

Yeah, I had the block with MS Windows Security for v7.73-5381 as well and I either Allowed or Restored it.
View attachment 10855It seems like as soon as the Auto Start is enabled after turning it off in HWInfo settings, the file HWiNFO64Launcher.exe is created which is what is supposed to run from Task Scheduler.
Yes this is the same Severe Threat warning I got. I had to Allow it before the zip file would download.

Hello - Trying to use the Aqua computer Vision and I'm just hanging or crashing as soon as I launch sensors I've attached the debug log.

Edit: Can ignore this - I read into the thread and found the 5381 version. Things are working with that version. Thank you @Martin

And for other folks - that may actually kinda be my fault, I'm unsure if I caused it, but I did ask about the aqua vision and support for that the other day D:

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
And for other folks - that may actually kinda be my fault, I'm unsure if I caused it, but I did ask about the aqua vision and support for that the other day D:
That's funny. I also asked to add support for the Vision last Saturday, in the middle of the v7.73-5370 release announcement thread.

This latest version isn't loading on Win 7 64 sp1. I run it and nothing pops up, no error message, nothing in event viewer, nothing in processes. It's like it doesn't exist. What changed with the program?

This latest version isn't loading on Win 7 64 sp1. I run it and nothing pops up, no error message, nothing in event viewer, nothing in processes. It's like it doesn't exist. What changed with the program?
Try the latest Beta build 5380.

Thinkpad

I try test - reboot Win7 SP1 x64 (+ HotFix Windows6.1-KB2619497-v2-x64 needed for system have CPU used more 8 core and/or more 16 Mb L3 cash then all may system based Xeon E5-2697v2 - is server family cluster CPU have 12 core / 24 threads and L3 30 Mb) and start success v7.73-5381 use added in to Startup group shortcut for HWiNFO64.EXE.

Attachments

• 20240311_125208.png
    20240311_125208.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
I have tried the latest beta, when I run it nothing happens. No hang, disk activity, no process listed, nothing. I wouldn't even know how to screenshot a lack of anything. The last version that works for me is 7.73-5365. Whatever you changed after that please change it back. Thank you

I have tried the latest beta, when I run it nothing happens. No hang, disk activity, no process listed, nothing. I wouldn't even know how to screenshot a lack of anything. The last version that works for me is 7.73-5365. Whatever you changed after that please change it back. Thank you
HWiNFO64 Beta build 5380 on Win7 SP1 x64 with all updates installed ?

EDIT: I think I found the issue, I use this https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/hwinfo-portable and just copy in the latest beta versions as they come out into the folder containing the 32 and 64 bit versions of hwinfo. I've been doing that for years and it's always worked without issue until HWiNFO v7.73-5375 Beta came along. Something changed in Hwinfo that is causing the hwinfoportable.exe launcher to not run it. It hadn't even occurred to me to test hwinfo on it's own cause, as I said, for YEARS the portableapps hwinfo launcher worked flawlessly

Last edited:
EDIT: I think I found the issue, I use this https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/hwinfo-portable and just copy in the latest beta versions as they come out into the folder containing the 32 and 64 bit versions of hwinfo. I've been doing that for years and it's always worked without issue until HWiNFO v7.73-5375 Beta came along. Something changed in Hwinfo that is causing the hwinfoportable.exe launcher to not run it. It hadn't even occurred to me to test hwinfo on it's own cause, as I said, for YEARS the portableapps hwinfo launcher worked flawlessly

So your problem is the automatic startup (since you said you're running the launcher and that's used for this only) ? Does manually HWiNFO64 start?
I will need more details - especially how the HWiNFO task in Windows Task Scheduler is configured. You can export the task into xml and post it here.

Also make sure KB4474419 is installed on Win7. That's required for SHA256 signature support.

I don't use YOUR launcher, I use the launcher created by Portableapps.com
Well, that is where the problem lies as this is what happened. The problem started with v7.73-5370 if you read the thread: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/hwinfo-v7-73-5370-beta-released.9513/
because of the OSD which requires HWiNFO64.exe to start from anywhere under "C:\Program Files" as mentioned here:
"For the overlay to work properly, HWiNFO64 is requesting uiAccess=true so that the overlay can be shown on top of other windows including full-screen applications. This special mode is only granted to applications started from a "secure folder", which is the "Program Files" (by default C:\Program Files) folder and its sub-folders, or some folders in the \Windows path. The HWiNFO installer will automatically install HWiNFO into the "Program Files" folder, so no action should be needed. When using the Portable or Beta version of HWiNFO, it's required to manually copy HWiNFO64.EXE into such "secure" folder."

While it did not mention that HWiNFO64.EXE cannot run as a task when outside of the "C:\Program Files" area, HWiNFO64.EXE will not run as a task when outside that area because it is a uiAccess app due to the OSD function as mentioned in https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/hwinfo-v7-73-5370-beta-released.9513/post-44193 which is a Microsoft Requirement:

v7.73-5375 fixed this issue because in v7.73-5375, when one turrns on autostart in settings, it creates a task as well as the file HWiNFO64Launcher.exe in the same folder which is what is now run that calls HWiNFO64.exe. You do not need another launcher as HWiNFO is already portable by default since all you do is run HWiNFO64.exe manually and it will start after showing the UAC screen with all settings in the HWiNFO64.INI file.
So assuming you already have KB4474419 already installed as mentioned by Martin, there are two ways to fix this.
1) Copy the current folder to somewhere under C:\Program Files which means it can be C:\Program Files\xyz or C:\Program Files\abc\xyz\123\456 for example basically it can be in any folder under C:\Program Files and it should work correctly because all hwinfoportable.exe does is run HWiNFO64.exe, if it is elsewhere meaning somewhere outside of
C\Program Files, it will no longer work after v.7.73-5365 as hwinfoportable.exe needs to launch the file HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and not HWiNFO64.exe.
*OR*
2) Do not use hwinfoportable.exe but instead run HWiNFO4.exe manually which should run, goto settings and then check the Autostart box which will create the file HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and a task scheduler task that launches HWiNFO64Launcher.exe

In my case, I wanted to try the OSD as I am on Windows 11 Pro Beta so I have it under C:\Program Files\HWiNFO\hwi_773_5385 but apparently HWiNFO64Launcher.exe is still created and HWiNFO64Launcher.exe is what is run first which calls HWiNFO64.exe so Martin can correct me if I am wrong, can HWiNFO64.exe be started directly as a task from C:\Program Files\HWiNFO\hwi_773_5385 without needing HWiNFO64Launcher.exe as it seems like Autostart creates HWiNFO64Launcher.exe so it will work in all scenarios including HWiNFO64.exe under C:\Program Files even when it isn't needed.
1710545138516.png

There is no OSD for Windows 7 according to Martin:

Last edited:
No, the problem is something else. The new HWiNFO64 can be started from any folder but for the OSD to work properly it requires to be located in a "secure" folder. But otherwise it will work.

The problem @Thinkpad sees is different. Applications with uiAccess cannot be started using certain functions like CreateProcess which is also used by Task Scheduler. That's why the HWiNFOLauncher had to be created as it spawns HWiNFO using a different function. The same problem affects the PA.Launcher. I have reached out to PA if they have some solution for their launcher.

No, the problem is something else. The new HWiNFO64 can be started from any folder but for the OSD to work properly it requires to be located in a "secure" folder. But otherwise it will work.

The problem @Thinkpad sees is different. Applications with uiAccess cannot be started using certain functions like CreateProcess which is also used by Task Scheduler. That's why the HWiNFOLauncher had to be created as it spawns HWiNFO using a different function. The same problem affects the PA.Launcher. I have reached out to PA if they have some solution for their launcher.
Yes, I see what you mean but @Thinkpad never mentioned what happens when running HWiNF064.exe manually if it will start or not. If it doesn't, then there are other issues with HWiNFO64 itself since the HWiNFOLauncher method is only needed to automatically start HWiNFO64.exe after OSD was added to HWiNFO64. PA on their page says HWINFO is packaged and made portable by you so hopefully they will provide a solution when the next released version of HWiNFO is out as they are only supporting 7.72.5355.

1710552111128.png

Last edited:
Back