HWiNFO64 Fan Control - Interesting Discovery? Please help

mikey32230

Hi all,

I'm a brand new user of HWiNFO. I have a Dell Inspiron 15r (N5110) Laptop. For some reason i feel like the fan has not been cooling the system properly. (it only kicks on at start up, and will stop once windows being booting) it will only kick on when they system gets fairly warm, too warm for my liking. So the CPU fan is either not spinning whatsoever or it is spinning at 3321 RPM+

I feel like the CPU fan should be constantly spinning, but at a very low RPM, idk if i'm crazy or if it actually used to do this, but it doesnt anymore.

There interesting discovery, After installing HWiNFO64, when i go into 'Fan Control' and i Click System Auto The fan will start spinning at a very low RPM (about 2400).

However, if i were to click Set Manual or Custom Auto The HWiNFO only allows the fan to spin at a minimum of 3321 RPM+. Interestinly enough, SpeedFan also only allowed the fan to spin at a minimum of around 3321 RPM.

Does anyone know why this is, and is there any way i can get the fan to automatically spin at this rate? (Even if i were to run HWiNFO at start up, the fan will not spin until i manually go in, and click System Auto

Please and thank you for ANY Help.

[attachment=949]

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 8
The behavior you describe means, that the system firmware is not working properly.
The modes HWiNFO sets are those which the firmware allows using a special interface. So HWiNFO doesn't control the fans directly, just sends commands which it is allowed to.
Thus the only way how to fix you problem is to contact DELL support.

Martin said:
The behavior you describe means, that the system firmware is not working properly.
The modes HWiNFO sets are those which the firmware allows using a special interface. So HWiNFO doesn't control the fans directly, just sends commands which it is allowed to.
Thus the only way how to fix you problem is to contact DELL support.

Thank you for your reply and helpful info. So you think this is a Software problem? like BIOS?

I have all the up to date drivers - i've rebuilt this laptop twice in the past few days, specifically because of this fan issue.

Do you have anything more specifically i could ask Dell support? or do you know what they're solution will most likely be/involve?

Martin said:
Yes, it's BIOS/EC firmware related. Just describe them the behavior...

What could they possibly do? I have the most current bios (Which hasnt been updated for 2 years) the laptop is about 2-3 years old.

What solutions could they possibly provide?

Back