HWiNFO64 locking itself up, unable to close and 100% one core usage

GTMoraes

Hi.

My HWiNFO64 locks up randomly. I've noticed that it locks up faster when playing Test Drive Unlimited 2 (can't play 5 min without it locking up). Might be related to a screen flickering I'm having (don't know if it's due to the high CPU usage hiccup), and on other games (tested: Far Cry 3 DX9/DX11, Metro 2033 DX9/DX11, Modern Warfare 3, GTA IV) it's completely random (ranging from 30 minutes to never).
I can tell if it's locked up when the OSD sensors freezes (and the MSI Afterburner ones are still up and running), 50% CPU usage (Dual core, one core is at 100%) and I'm unable to close the HWiNFO64 (Access Denied), requiring me to do a reboot.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 @ 3.0GHz (CPU Temp, Core speed and usage sensors enabled)
DDR2 800 4GB (RAM used sensor enabled)
GeForce GTX550 Ti (HWiNFO64 sensors disabled for this)
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (only 12v+ sensor enabled)

All other sensors not listed are disabled.

.DBG and Report file attached
Hope it's an easy-to-fix problem, I really like the OSD info =)
Disregarding the lockup, this program is excellent

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    536.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DGW-PC.HTM
    177.7 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried to change some HWiNFO Safety settings, for example disable "Use HPET" ?
Was the Debug File you attached generated during the lockup? That means Debug Mode was enabled, you run HWiNFO and after it hung, then you performed a reboot and gathered the file ? If not, then I'll need such Debug File, so that it captures the faulty situation.

Martin said:
Have you tried to change some HWiNFO Safety settings, for example disable "Use HPET" ?
Was the Debug File you attached generated during the lockup? That means Debug Mode was enabled, you run HWiNFO and after it hung, then you performed a reboot and gathered the file ? If not, then I'll need such Debug File, so that it captures the faulty situation.

yep, I gathered it after the lockup and restart, file was increasing in size in the meantime.

it was around 112k and started growing slowly till the current size. HWiNFO was locked up and I couldn't retrieve the file without restarting. That's the Debug File during the lockup.

gonna try your suggestion

Tried your suggestion. No dice, still lock up (specially on TDU2)

The .DBG file.. well, it's almost 7MB now. Is that right?
Attached.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.rar
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
Do you run HWiNFO in Sensor-only mode ?
Please try the following scenario: In case you run in Sensor-only mode then disable this mode, run HWiNFO and if the System Summary window doesn't appear then open it. Let it run with this screen only (NO sensors) to see if that hangs too. Please let me know the result.

Martin said:
Do you run HWiNFO in Sensor-only mode ?
Please try the following scenario: In case you run in Sensor-only mode then disable this mode, run HWiNFO and if the System Summary window doesn't appear then open it. Let it run with this screen only (NO sensors) to see if that hangs too. Please let me know the result.

No sensors (not even showing up on the OSD, only MSI Afterburnet info) and it still hangs up while on TDU2.

Force-closing the System Summary doesn't kill the process, it's still there, hogging up resources and giving me an "Access Denied" when trying to close.

I'll restart and post the .DBG again (561k this time)

---------------------
the .DBG file, after restarting, is now around 2MB for some reason.

Attachments

• dbg.rar
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
Interesting.. Thanks for the update.
This might be some collision between HWiNFO and Windows 8, or another system monitoring tool. Are you maybe running another system monitoring tool in parallel ?

Martin said:
Interesting.. Thanks for the update.
This might be some collision between HWiNFO and Windows 8, or another system monitoring tool. Are you maybe running another system monitoring tool in parallel ?
MSI Afterburner only.

will try the build above, but just to clarify, if I leave HWiNFO running on the background while I do Office stuff, it doesn't bug. On some games, it bugs after a long while (sometimes I play more than 5hrs straight with no issues), but on Test Drive Unlimited 2, it bugs in under 2 minutes.

First I was thinking it was a dx injection bug, but now even with sensors off, it locks up.

Excellent job! Seems to be working as it should! Played TDU2 for half an hour and it didn't lock up!
Played about 10 min on "normal mode" (without any of the checkboxes ticked) and the remaining (till now) on Sensor-Only mode

Bug reported and bug fixed in 8 hours! Ha that's amazing =)
Keep up the good work! I'll report back if it behaves improperly again

Attaching .DBG of the working 1827 beta (just because it was enabled and it reports differently. Apparently the 1825 was on a infinite loop).
There may not be anything useful as everything seems to be running as it should, but for conscience's sake, it's there.

Once again, thanks and good job!

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    600.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad that it works now properly.
Actually it was less than 8 hours, because I was sleeping when you submitted the report ;)

Back