HWINFO64 sometimes freezes and crashes on "Detecting CPU #11" when running sensors only.

Antzen51

Hi, I've been running into issues where the hwinfo64 program would freeze and crash on "Detecting CPU #11" when I attempt to run "Sensors-only". Any attempt to run it again after the error occurs would result in the same error. The only "work-around" I've found is to force-reboot the computer and start the program then (see below for why it must be a force reboot). I've only used hwinfo64 for a few days, and this had already occurred multiple times. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro (BIOS Version: 5204)

Some observations:
- Most of the time, this error occurs after I have ran the program beforehand (e.g., I boot the computer, start hwinfo64 successfully, close it, and then when I try to start it again, it runs into this error).
- Sometimes, all the stats on the sensors page would freeze (even though polling is set to 2 sec), and after I close hwinfo64 and run sensors again, I get this error.
- After this error occurs, I am unable to shut down or restart my computer. I can click the "Restart" button and Windows would exit as expected (it would close ongoing tasks; no more signal would be sent to my monitor), but my computer would still be clearly running (fans on, lights on), and would not reboot at all. I would have to force shut-down the computer and reboot then. In contrast, when this error has not yet occurred, I am able to shut down or restart my computer. This seems to suggest that when this error occurs, hwinfo64 has sent some command that hangs and keeps the computer awake somehow.

Edit: added some clarifying details

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    480.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is a BIOS issue. Try to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, that should fix it.

Thanks for reply. I've updated my BIOS to the latest version (v. 5406) and it looks to have fixed the issue so far!

I have exactly the same problem with freezing on "Detecting CPU #11" and a problem with shutting down, but the bios is updated to the latest version( Asus is disappointing

I have exactly the same problem with freezing on "Detecting CPU #11" and a problem with shutting down, but the bios is updated to the latest version( Asus is disappointing
Which mainboard do you have? Can you attach the HWiNFO Debug File of the crash?

I don't see any issue in that Debug File. HWiNFO has run normally and closed without crash.

Back