Latitude E6410 drive error

Uh.. This looks like a bug in the Intel RST driver - it just doesn't properly respond to SMART commands.
I know that you will certainly ask - how is it then possible that other tools work. The answer is that those tools most probably favor other methods to retrieve SMART information, while HWiNFO prioritizes a different order, which favors a certain method that I think is buggy in your Intel RST driver (v9.6.0.1014).
Can you please try to upgrade the Intel RST driver and let me know if that helped ?

Martin,

i don't think this is the solution.

if i install the other driver you recommended, booting the labtop takes much longer.
also the sata device appears like an scsi device.

dell does not recommend any update for this driver.
also this version runs smooth without any problems.

all the other diagnostic programs show up the smart info allright.

so i think that the problem must be found in hwinfo.

did my best to check out, but at the end i come to this opinion.

so far take care.

cheers

I can only add a workaround that will ignore all (invalid) thresholds in case this situation is detected. But I'm still convinced that the true bug is in the RST driver - those drivers have a long history of tons of bugs.

Martin,

may be you overread this:

the problem in HWINFO concerning the wrong smart parameter appears also,
if NO Intel RST is installed.

i have checked this out, cause i unstalled it.

so the problem CANNOT come from the Intel RST.

cheers

I can reproduce this problem on one of my machines using Intel RST v9.5.0.1037 and 2 drives in RAID.
This configuration requires that the same method (CSMI SAS) is used by both HWiNFO and CrystalDiskInfo for example. The result is that CrystalDiskInfo reads the same wrong thresholds too.

[attachment=1795]

More precisely the problem is because:
- one asks the Intel RST driver to return SMART ATTRIBUTES (i.e. actual and worst values) and it returns SMART ATTRIBUTES
- one asks the Intel RST driver to return SMART THRESHOLDS and instead of SMART THRESHOLDS it returns SMART ATTRIBUTES !
This is definitively a bug in the old Intel RST versions.
So the only solution is that HWiNFO will ignore those thresholds:

[attachment=1796]

Or upgrade the Intel RST driver.

Attachments

• RST_SMART_bug.png
    RST_SMART_bug.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 4
  • RST_SMART_BUG_ignoring.png
    RST_SMART_BUG_ignoring.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
so what do you recommend to do?

is this only for this specific driver version?

cause i have no problems on my other computers using RST, it's even a must on these Intel machines.

atleast this specific version you proposed won't run on my Latitude successfully.

thanks for your advice.

cheers

:-/

It seems to concern only older versions, I'm not sure which one is the fixed. You can try other versions from the Intel site - on the left side is a list of other versions (11.x, 12.x).
Or you might get along with the proposed HWiNFO fix, which won't report the error anymore, but it won't report any errors because of the missing thresholds.

thanks for the advice.

i'm really not sure, if RST is essential for this labtop.

on my other intel computers i had to use it, otherwise the partitions would always swap and have other drive letters depending of the boot.

i do not have this issue on the laptop.

if i run it without RST it's ok.

may be i should leave it like this on this machine.

what do you think, which are the advantages to use RST or not?

cheers

I already suggested you to try without RST. I believe the main requirement for RST is when you have RAID, but that's not your case.
So using the standard AHCI driver works well with HWiNFO and all SMART data is reported properly ?

thank you, martin,

i also thought this.

if i uninstall rst,
i get instead automaticly intalled by windows 7:

intel 5 series/3400 Series Chipset Family 6 port sata ahci controller

is this, what you mean with "standard ahci" ?

cheers

If you check in the Driver tab and click Driver Details it should show something like storahci.sys (not iastor...) and from Microsoft.

i find:

Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller:

atapi.sys MS
ataport.sys MS
msahci.sys MS
pciidex.sys MS

works fine

cheers

Back