SPD info disappearing sometimes

Hello,

I'am using Asus Maximus Z790 Hero, 13900KS CPU, Corsair HX1000i(2023) PSU and Lexar LD5U16G72C34LA 2x16GB memory with XMP enabled at 7000MT/s.

Sometimes SPD info(on screenshot) disappearing from HWInfo and other programs.

It happens after playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for a long time (about 1,5h).
It also happened right after booting (the computer was previously unused for many hours).

When the problem occurs HWInfo program turns on longer than normal. Mainly during memory configuration analysis. It uses 100% of one CPU core while loading.

In this state, after restarting the computer, memory training will start, which will end with q-code 55(memory not installed).
However, if instead of rebooting I turn off the computer and cut off the power, it will turn on normally again.

Surprisingly, immediately after this problem occurs, I can run Karhu Ramtest or TestMem5 and they do not show errors.

In addition, when testing in Karhu Ramtest, sometimes SPD Hub Temperature grays out and does not update, but after a few seconds it comes back on.

I also own another set of RAM - G.Skill F5-6000J3040G32G 2x32GB 6000MT/s. With them, something similar was happening except that the SPD information disappeared only for one DIMM.

I have attached the log files from HWInfo.

What's going on? Is it the motherboard that is defective? Please help.

spd_ram_hwinfo.PNG

Attachments

• hwinfo64_normal.7z
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
  • hwinfo64_no_spd.7z
    83.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This usually happens when running HWiNFO along with other monitoring, tuning, fan control or RGB control software that's not compatible.

I use old Asus AI Suite 3 with Fan Xpert for fan control.
Currently, I have disabled all services of this program as well as its driver in Autoruns.
We will see if the problem recurs.

I'm seeing this behavior suddenly now too. The only thing that has seemed to change is that I installed the new Nvidia hotfix driver. Not sure what the deal is.

I use old Asus AI Suite 3 with Fan Xpert for fan control.
Currently, I have disabled all services of this program as well as its driver in Autoruns.
We will see if the problem recurs.
Well that didn't help.

I'm seeing this behavior suddenly now too. The only thing that has seemed to change is that I installed the new Nvidia hotfix driver. Not sure what the deal is.
Could you provide the specification of your computer (CPU, MB, RAM)?

Well that didn't help.

Z790 Master, 14900k, 32gb 7200 Gskill.

It was happening on and off when I was rendering yesterday, where one of the sensors would grey out, then return. I can also make it happen consistently when doing the Timespy Extreme CPU test, where both sensors will go out. Everything has been stress tested to an extensive degree, nothing is unstable.

Well that didn't help.

Out of curiosity, do you have a front-mounted AIO? I forgot to mention that I switched to front mounted recently, and after going back to top mount the issue hasn't returned (yet). There was a significant increase in overall temps in my case, from both the CPU and GPU exhaust - I'm wondering it something was overheating because of it.

@maul No, I have top-mounted AIO. I don't think my problem is from overheating because all issues happened also with cold components (the computer was previously unused for many hours).

I also noticed temperatures in HWInfo greys out always on same values! Gray out at 47.5C come back on 48.0C and reverse (also happening at 32.0C). See screenshot. Strange, because in HWMonitor this does not happen.

So currently I don't run HWInfo and will see if the SPD information disappears in other programs: CPU-Z and HWMonitor.

hwinfo_spd_temp_grey_out_47c.PNG

It was observed that the SPD Hub sometimes returns invalid values as simple spikes of either 16.0, 47.75 or 63.8 C.
To avoid reporting such spikes which are believed to be invalid, HWiNFO filters out these values, hence it shows them as gray (meaning invalid value read):

Strange, but I have not observed such SPD Temp spikes in HWMonitor. However, this is a minor issue for me.

The main problem for me is sometimes(probably once every three days) the absence of entire DIMM sections when starting HWINFO - there are no - DDR5 DIMM[#1]... - DDR5 DIMM[#3]... - (lack of SPD Temp, DRAM Voltages...).

Such complete loss of entire sensor is usually attributed to a conflict with other hardware-accessing software that lacks synchronization with HWiNFO.

It was observed that the SPD Hub sometimes returns invalid values as simple spikes of either 16.0, 47.75 or 63.8 C.
To avoid reporting such spikes which are believed to be invalid, HWiNFO filters out these values, hence it shows them as gray (meaning invalid value read):

This makes sense for the instance I had when it was hovering around 48c. However, both sensors are still completely going down after a Timespy Extreme run and won't come back until restart. Don't recall this behavior happening before the past couple weeks, but I guess it could be a sensor conflict.

Back