FEATURE Localization

Thanks for your contribution!
I checked your fork but cannot see any commits by you there. Are you sure you have committed your changes? You need to fist commit the changes and push into your repo. Then make a Pull request to merge into the parent repo.
Thanks Martin. I’ll look at if later today and if you don’t mind, ask if I have any other questions.

No problem :)
Martin, just sent a pull request for a very small change to the pt translation just to ensure I don't screw anything up or loose too much time translating something I'm not able to submit just like last time. Let me know if it worked out when you have some time.

Thanks

Martin, just sent a pull request for a very small change to the pt translation just to ensure I don't screw anything up or loose too much time translating something I'm not able to submit just like last time. Let me know if it worked out when you have some time.

Thanks

Thanks, the pull request looks OK.
But one thing - is this only for Portuguese spoken in Brasil, so different from European Portuguese? Sorry, I'm not familiar how much Portuguese spoken in Brasil differs, but if it's significant, then this should probably be made as a new and different language tag and leave the original Portuguese as is?

Last edited:
Thanks, the pull request looks OK.
But one thing - is this only for Portuguese spoken in Brasil, so different from European Portuguese? Sorry, I'm not familiar how much Portuguese spoken in Brasil differs, but if it's significant, then this should probably be made as a new and different language tag and leave the original Portuguese as is?
Yes, there are significant differences between Brazilian and European Portuguese. I took this decision to change the description to Brazil instead of creating a new language tag because all the original translation in the file clearly is for Brazilian Portuguese, there’s nothing from European Portuguese in there, so I guessed it would make more sense to create a new tag for the European Portuguese if someone wants to translate. Does it make sense?

Example, file is arquivo in brazilian portugese and ficheiro in european portuguese.

Screen is tela at Brazil and ecrã in european portugese.

These are examples you can search the lang.txt file and check that the translations match the brazilian version I’m mentioning. I’m also attaching screenshots from hardware stores from Brazil and Portugal to give credibility of my examples.

I have to admit I was surprised that I just checked Google Translate and he offers just plain “Portuguese” for translation, but he tends to translate to the brazilian version.

I believe that someone from Portugal could understand the original translation in the file, I just wouldn’t call it ideal.

Please confirm if you want me to create a new language tag for my revision or if I should keep the way I changed.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1FBDA426-F613-4F99-9531-ECA7FDFC73DD.jpeg
    1FBDA426-F613-4F99-9531-ECA7FDFC73DD.jpeg
    764.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 9B7EF0F3-DE5F-4948-BE1F-29873D4486C1.jpeg
    9B7EF0F3-DE5F-4948-BE1F-29873D4486C1.jpeg
    964.9 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for the exhausting explanation, I learned something new :)
I used the Google AI Translator (automated) to create the initial translations, that explains why the result is such.

Given this situation I have decided to proceed as following:
- I will merge your pull request as is.
- I will rename all current "pt" tags to "pt-BR" to properly reflect this set. So make sure to pull this change before you continue with other changes. This will also require a change in HWiNFO to properly handle Portuguese language which will be done in the next build.
- If anyone wants to contribute with other Portuguese variants, it should be added as a new tag (i.e. "pt-PT" for Portuguese in Portugal).

The file states to ask the author about adding a new language - can you please add en_GB (label it enGB if that's easier)?

Hello,

I've been using your software for years (decades?) and recently I made up a new PC building. I started to the tedious process of installing all software and trying to get all previous configurations when possible. I installed HWInfo64 in this Windows 11 and selected "Spanish language"; I don't remember if in old PC I was using English or Spanish. But I can tell the Spanish is unusable, I mean, I was totally lost when trying to understand what each sensor was meaning... :). How can I translate this as a custom language or, if you want, give it to you as "official" translation.

I have seen here the file lang.txt with many entries; is this single file only one needed to be used? I only would have to "fix" (fix is a very soft term for what I have seen ;)) the Spanish translations there, isn't it?But I cannot see the changes as that file is not present in my installed (no portable) software. I guess you need to insert and compile to the .exe. Please, tell me if I am OK or wrong on any or all of this.

Thank you for all your great work.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been using your software for years (decades?) and recently I made up a new PC building. I started to the tedious process of installing all software and trying to get all previous configurations when possible. I installed HWInfo64 in this Windows 11 and selected "Spanish language"; I don't remember if in old PC I was using English or Spanish. But I can tell the Spanish is unusable, I mean, I was totally lost when trying to understand what each sensor was meaning... :). How can I translate this as a custom language or, if you want, give it to you as "official" translation.

I have seen here the file lang.txt with many entries; is this single file only one needed to be used? I only would have to "fix" (fix is a very soft term for what I have seen ;)) the Spanish translations there, isn't it?But I cannot see the changes as that file is not present in my installed (no portable) software. I guess you need to insert and compile to the .exe. Please, tell me if I am OK or wrong on any or all of this.

Thank you for all your great work.

Yes, the file on GitHub is the only and full language file for all languages. The latest version of this file is always embedded into HWiNFO64, that's why you don't see it as a separate file in the program.
It's available on GitHub so that any user can make changes and these can also be tracked. So committing to this repository on GitHub is the preferred way and when a commit is approved, it will be automatically embedded into the next version of HWiNFO64.

Hello, Mr. Martin, I have downloaded it to local and started checking and fixing some things. What I cared the most were the sensors, as when adding them to OSD and tray I was now totally confussed (I had to go back to English). (Also it must be known I passed from a i7 4790K to a Z690 i7 12700K... and some things have changed... a lot).

So, I should NOT change into local but add the changes using a GitHub account, right?

I guess there is no way to see where do each of the texts (some are similar or even the same meaning different translations).

Thank you.

Yes, it's best to commit your changes to GitHub as only then your changes can make it into an official HWiNFO64 release.

If you'd like to test your changes locally, just copy the lang.txt file into the HWiNFO64 installation folder (where HWiNFO64 executable resides) and start HWiNFO64 new.
It will then use the local lang.txt file instead of the embedded one. But that will work on your local system only.

Thank you. I am testing and changing "strange" words where they are not intended (options vs descriptions). I will try to translate whole file (it will take some time) and after testing, I will add it tho GitHub to be checked.

I see that sometimes where the terms are long and a bit hard to understand (some are to me too) the translation goes nuts.

Last edited:
Thank you for your contribution, it will help other Spanish-speaking users.
Note that you can also make smaller commits, part by part, start with most important/buggy items. The entire file is really large and will probably take a lot of time to walk thru entirely.

I would like to dig into the Finnish translation. I have one question though: Why not use a platform like Crowdin or Weblate for this? They would provide superior translation workflow features and allow collaboration.

I would like to dig into the Finnish translation. I have one question though: Why not use a platform like Crowdin or Weblate for this? They would provide superior translation workflow features and allow collaboration.

You're very welcome to improve the Finnish translation. I didn't know about those platforms and used Google Translate via Google Cloud. Several languages (especially Chinese, Japanese, Korean and German) have already been heavily redacted and fixed by various users.

You're very welcome to improve the Finnish translation. I didn't know about those platforms and used Google Translate via Google Cloud. Several languages (especially Chinese, Japanese, Korean and German) have already been heavily redacted and fixed by various users.
Ok, I can relate to that. I only discovered them a few years ago myself and got hooked by the practical simplicity of it all as opposed to what I had previously done over the years by directly editing language files.

These offer great search and filtering options, glossaries, separate proofreading steps, voting, etc. They also support some also support integrations with other services like Google Translate and GitHub for example.

I am personally a huge fan of Crowdin's UI over any other platform. Weblate is ok and also open source and it offers all basic features. Then there is Transifex which is also very feature rich but to me it's UI is overly complicated to use. OneSky is also one option but it lacks way behind all of these. There are some others as well. This, from my point of view as an active translator and proofreader. How they work for developers, I can't really comment on, exept for thinking that managing user access, terminology and communicating on a string by string basis would be beneficial from a usability standpoint.

I highly suggest that you take a hard look at them.

Back